See less

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The employment of climbing boys as chimney sweeps was prohibited by an Act of Parliament.
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Not before time, either.
      "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Brighton established the first nudist beach in Britain, despite protests from those fearing depravity.

You wonder how many weeks of the year it would be warm enough for a UK nudist beach!
        “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gem - I think they are a hardy bunch! My OH worked with an enthusiastic nudist at one time, and he seemed to go to a certain beach or camp site most week-ends. I don't think he had any tan lines, although I couldn't say for sure!
          "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The Prime Minister, Edward Heath, steered the British yachting team to victory in the Admiral's Cup.

Comment

You wonder how he found the time! Although he had a professional crew on board. He actually had about 5 yachts over the years - all called Morning Cloud.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The first observation, by Dean R. Campbell, of the day marked as ‘International Left Handers Day’ which has been celebrated every year since. Around 10 per cent of the world’s population is left-handed, including the webmaster of this website, scientist Sir Isaac Newton, former prime minister David Cameron, the wartime prime minister Winston Churchill and also Prince William, the future king. Left-handed people have been considered unlucky and even evil - the word "sinister" comes from the Latin word for left. In Britain in the Middle Ages, "lefties" were associated with the devil and often accused of the crime of witchcraft, meaning they would get burned at the stake.

I wonder if we have any left handers on the forum? I will start a thread!

Comment

The Fastnet Yacht Race was struck by tragedy when Force 10 gales and mountainous seas claimed the lives of 15 sailors and 3 rescuers. It was the worst disaster in the history of ocean yacht racing and the biggest rescue operation launched by UK authorities since the Second World War . 75 boats capsized, 5 sank and 24 crews abandoned ship. Only 85 yachts out of the 303 entries reached the finish line.

Comment

Living so close to this area, I remember it well. The force 10 seemed to come out of nowhere and so many crews weren't prepared for it. Some years later I met a man who had sat on the inquiry that followed the disaster, and he said that the worst thing to have done was abandon ship. Had those crews stayed on board the loss of lives would have been much lower -between 1 and 3 I think he said.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I can remember that happening.
                      Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Controversial horse rider Harvey Smith was stripped of his £2,000 winnings and a major show jumping title for allegedly making a rude V-sign gesture.

Comment

Oh that brought back a memory Gem , I remember the uproar about it
                          Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Endowed by the sugar merchant Henry Tate, the Tate Gallery, in London, was opened.

Comment

And still going strong!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Under the Registration Act, the compulsory registration of births, deaths and marriages was introduced in Britain.

Comment

Working...
                                X