See less

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is interesting Daisy! I too was wondering if Glamma remembered this.
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

The first pilots' licences were issued, to an Englishman - J T C Moore Brabazon, and a Frenchwoman - Elise Deroche.
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gem - I didn't realise pilots' licences came in so early. You didn't need a car driving licence until much later. I remember my dad saying he'd never had to take a test, even though he drove for a living.

I've just looked it up. The driving test became compulsory on 1 June 1935 for all drivers who started driving on or after 1 April 1934.
        "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Dozens of firefighters were called out to deal with a blaze .... at a fire station. The retained fire crew at Downham Market in Norfolk could do nothing, because their own fire engine was caught up in the blaze that started in their own building.

(This sort of thing happens in Pontypandy all the time!)

Comment

Fireman Sam to the rescue
            Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Andrew Watson made his Scotland debut as the world's first black, international football player and captain.

Comment

Dunblane. 25 years ago today.
                We were in Tenerife,and had been out for a stroll after breakfast.
                Went back to the hotel and sat on the balcony with a coffee,listening to the radio.
                News was just coming in about the tragedy.
                Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Nan2, that was truly terrible.
                  I remember giving myself a talking to and saying that me spiralling down into grief would not help these families. Very dark days though

Comment

I heard the news about Dunblane in the car. I was on my way to one of the college's feeder schools to interview applicants for the college. It was clear none of them had heard the news, and I didn't say anything because I know I would have been in tears. I don't know how I got through those interviews with a smile on my face.
                    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Selfridges store (named after its owner Harry Gordon Selfridge) was opened in London's Oxford Street. In September 1997 they opened their first store outside London when the Trafford Centre (Manchester) opened.

Comment

The Crusaders massacred 150 Jews at Clifford's Tower, York, following a wave of attacks against Jews that had moved north from London, to Stamford, Lincoln, King's Lynn, Colchester and Bury St. Edmunds, before culminating in the bloodiest atrocity of them all, in York, in Clifford's Tower. Some Jews committed mass suicide rather than submit to baptism and they set the castle on fire to prevent their bodies being mutilated after their deaths. A few Jews did surrender, promising to convert to Christianity, but 150 were killed by the angry crowd.

A very sad part of York's history. I think of it every time I see Clifford's Tower.

Comment

Gem - it always makes me sad that so much suffering has been created in the name of religion, irrespective of the religion involved.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The comic strip character Dennis the Menace appeared in the Beano for the first time. His red and black striped jumper did not feature until a few weeks later and his pet dog Gnasher did not make an appearance until 31st August 1968.

Comment

I loved Dennis the Menace. He was the naughty character who did what we all wished we could do at times!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Two floors of the Madame Tussaud’s waxworks in London were destroyed by fire.

Comment

Working...
                                X