No announcement yet.

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd forgotten about rose hip syrup - it was lovely.
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Lord Harewood, the Queen’s cousin, brought in police to investigate the theft of the world’s smallest horse, Pernod, a 27-inch-high Shetland stallion.

“A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

It would be quite hard to find such a small horse!!
        "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Tesco decided to revive imperial measures in its stores after shoppers' pressure.
          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Under the Matrimonial Causes Bill, British women were given equal divorce rights with men.

Comment

Following Peace Day celebrations marking the end of World War I, ex-servicemen, unhappy with unemployment and other grievances, rioted and burn down Luton Town Hall. During the riot people broke into Farmers Music Shop and dragged pianos into the streets for dancing and singing, including, ironically 'Keep the home fires burning'. The mayor at the time, Henry Impey was smuggled out of Luton never to return.

Comment

Gem - at one time we lived just outside Luton, and I'd never heard that story. Very interesting.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

'Back-from-the-dead' canoeist John Darwin and his wife Anne were jailed for more than six years for fraudulently claiming £250,000. The couple had conned family, friends, police and insurance companies into believing that Mr Darwin drowned in the North Sea off Teesside in 2002.

This was serialised on TV recently.

Comment

I watched the series when it was on.
                    Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

I remember reading about the case at the time. They even let their sons think he was dead.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

That was the unforgivable part Daisy.

Comment

Gem - I agree. How could you do that to your own flesh and blood!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Louise Joy Brown, the first test-tube baby in Britain, was born at Oldham Hospital in Greater Manchester. It had taken 12 years of research by gynaecologist Patrick Steptoe and Dr Robert Edwards to make the birth possible. Louise weighed 5lb 12 oz and was delivered by caesarean section.

I remember this so well, it was so exciting. I had given birth to my second daughter two weeks previously, whose middle name is Louise.

Comment

I remember the excitement too Gem 😁
                              Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I remember seeing Louise's mum's face - complete joy. So lovely.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                                X