No announcement yet.

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The '911' terrorist attacks in New York.
    On This Day hijackers crashed two airliners into the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center in New York City, killing everyone on board and thousands of those working in the buildings. Both towers collapsed within two hours, destroying nearby buildings and damaging others. A third airliner was crashed into the Pentagon and a fourth plane was redirected towards Washington, D.C., targeting either the Capitol Building or the White House, but it crashed in a field near Shanksville in rural Pennsylvania after passengers attempted to retake control of the airliner. There were no survivors from any of the flights.
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

The day the world was forever changed.

I was sorting through some old photos recently and came across a couple of photos we'd taken sitting on the steps of the World Trade Center with our sons who were teenagers at the time. Even after all these years, it gave me a huge shock to see us sitting there, happy, laughing without a care in the world.
      "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Hard to believe how long ago this was , one of those moments you remember where you were when the news broke ,
        The shock of watching the news when we all watched the second plane hit ,
        I think no one believed what was unfolding before our eyes .
        Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Daisy, my ex and I went to New York to celebrate our Silver wedding the year before. The hotel we stayed at was opposite the World Trade Centre. We often walked through the ground floor area when going out. It felt even more shocking to me as we had been inside the building.

Oma, when I switched the TV on and heard about the first tower I thought it was a terrible tragic accident. Then I saw the second hit, and then we all knew it was something far worse.

RIP all those poor people who lost their lives that day.
          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gem, that must have given you a real shock watching it happen.

People are still suffering from what happened in all sorts of ways, and I think they always will. It was so barbaric.
            "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

A London taxi reached New Delhi with the meter showing a fare of £13,200. It was part of a six-man expedition on the way to Sydney.

Comment

George Stephenson's Manchester and Liverpool railway opened. During the ceremony, William Huskisson, MP, became the first person to be killed by a train when he crossed the track to shake hands with the Duke of Wellington.
                Stephenson was from humble beginnings and was illiterate until the age of 18. The entire family lived in just one room at a house at Wylam. The house was shared with three other families.​

Comment

Gem, I didn't know George Stephenson came from such a humble background. He must have been incredibly determined and talented.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The United Shakespeare Company bought the house in which playwright William Shakespeare was born at Stratford Upon Avon in Warwickshire for £3,000.
                    It became the first building in Britain to be officially preserved.​

Comment

Three thousnad pounds must have been a small fortune then.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Blackout regulations eased in Britain to allow lights on buses, trains and at railway stations for the first time since the beginning of World War II in 1939.

Comment

A referendum was held in Scotland, with one single question on the ballot paper - "Should Scotland be an independent country?" The "No" side won, with 2,001,926 (55.3%) voting against independence and 1,617,989 (44.7%) voting in favour. The turnout of 84.6% was the highest recorded for an election or referendum in the United Kingdom

Comment

The first episode of comedy show Fawlty Towers was broadcast by the BBC.

I LOVED this series!

Comment

Prince Charles admitted that he talked to his plants.​

Comment

Bryan Adams made chart history when his song - Everything I Do, I Do It For You, had its twelfth consecutive week as the UK No.1.​

Comment

Working...
                                X