No announcement yet.

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child 'stars' always worry me - so often it turns out badly for them in the long run.
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

‘A lady well-known in literary and scientific circles’ was the only clue The Times gave to the identity of the woman who was cremated by the Cremation Society in Woking, Surrey. She was the first person to be officially cremated in Britain and was a Mrs. Pickersgill, the first of three cremations that year.
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

The Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (WAAC) was founded. They were Britain's first official service women.
        “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

The Bank of England introduced thin metal strips into banknotes as an anti-forgery device.

Comment

Didn’t realise it was so long ago , I can’t remember them being in old notes
            Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma - neither did I! Mind you we didn't see many bank notes back in the day did we. I remember my dad bringing one of the old large white £5 notes in from our shop to show me - I'd never seen one!
              "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, (born August 4th 1900), died peacefully in her sleep, aged 101.

Comment

Racehorse Red Rum won the Grand National Steeplechase in a record time of 9 min. 1.9 sec., a record that remained unbroken for 16 years. He is the only horse to have won the Grand National three times.

Comment

The 26 counties of the Irish Free State became the Republic of Ireland.

Comment

Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands in the South Atlantic, a British possession for 149 years. The British government dispatched a naval task force to engage the Argentine Navy and Air Force. The resulting conflict lasted 74 days and ended with the Argentine surrender on 14th June 1982, which returned the islands to British control. During the Falklands conflict the Royal Navy requisitioned more vessels registered in Hull than from any other British port.

Comment

It seems so long ago now ,
                        My Sisters husband went over for 6 month to help rebuild and repair roads ,
                        he hated being away from her and his 4 girls , The money was fantastic but he wouldn’t stay any longer
                        He said it’s desolate , the locals were used to it but when your a city boy it’s too much 😁
                        Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma - it always looked bleak in the film footage and photos. A friend of ours served there but never said much about it.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The residents of Eigg, a small island off the west coast of Scotland, bought their island with help from an anonymous English millionairess, after an eight-month ownership battle.

Comment

During 'Operation Babylift' a plane carrying 99 Vietnamese orphans, victims of the war in Vietnam, landed at Heathrow airport.

Comment

I'm surprised it was that long ago, Gem. Perhaps it's a sign of age (mine!) that I think most things happened more recently than the records say.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                                X