No announcement yet.

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gem - I had heard of it. My DIL2 is the only right-handed person in her family! Two of my GCs are lefties and DIL1 and her mum.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Daisy my friend M, who came over for coffee the other day, was in a left handed family! Her ex husband and herself are left handed as are their son and daughter.
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

It does make you think there must be some genetic inheritance factor, doesn't it.
        "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Glasgow passport office started to issue the new EEC passports. It was the first office to be computerised to dispense the burgundy coloured documents, which replaced the traditional blue ones. Reception to them was mixed.
          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

It is strange how things change and people are not sure about them then they become the norm ,
            Now Passports are changing again .
            Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Under the Registration Act, the compulsory registration of births, deaths and marriages was introduced in Britain.

Comment

The City of Liverpool named four Streets after the fab four, John Lennon Drive, Paul McCartney Way, George Harrison Close and Ringo Starr Drive.

Comment

Mary Langdon became Britain's first female firefighter when she joined the East Sussex Brigade.

Comment

British forces captured Washington DC and set the White House on fire.

Comment

That's so hard to imagine 200+ years on.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The death of Lord Louis Mountbatten, Prince Philip's and the Queen’s cousin (strictly second cousin once removed).
                        The IRA exploded a 50lb, remote-controlled bomb on his boat Shadow V off the coast of County Sligo, Ireland.
                        Lord Mountbatten was a former Admiral of the Fleet, the last Viceroy of India (1947) and the first Governor-General of the independent Union of India. He served as Chief of the Defence Staff until 1965, making him the longest serving professional head of the British Armed Forces to date.

Comment

I can remember feeling very angry and sad when that happened. Two young boys were killed also.
                          What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

I agree, Plant. One of the boys was Lord Mountbatten's grandson (one of twins) and the other was a friend, holidaying in the same place. He is buried at Romsey Abbey, close to their home, Broadlands House. Not far from us, otherwise I wouldn't know!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Britain's oldest twins, May and Marjorie Chavasse, both received telegrams from the Queen, to celebrate reaching their 100th birthday.

The below makes interesting reading!

Lists of the oldest people from the United Kingdom

Comment

Gem - you're right - it is interesting reading.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                                X