See less

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why ? what were they going to do with a Dolphin cant exactly keep it in the garden pond can you hahaha
    Obviously they had a buyer for it lined up
    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I think you're right, Oma. Other than holding it to ransom (not easy to hide!) what else would they have done with it.
      "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Poet Elizabeth Barrett eloped to Italy with poet Robert Browning to escape Elizabeth's domineering father who disapproved of marriage for any of his children. Mr. Barrett then disinherited Elizabeth, as he did for each of his children who married:
        “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gem - I knew she eloped, but I didn't realise her father disapproved of his children marrying. It begs the question - did he marry?
          "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Exactly!

It's as strange parent who doesn't hope their children find someone to share their life and be happy with.
            “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Odd situation , he sounded a control freak
              Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Britain's biggest ever banking computer error gave customers an extra £2 billion in a period of 30 minutes; 99.3 per cent of the money was reportedly returned.

Comment

It's amazing so much money could go so quickly, and that nearly all of it was returned.

Imagine what the panic must have been like in their IT department.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Comment

Gem, Hahaha - very true, I'm sure.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The 3rd of September became the 14th as the Gregorian Calendar was introduced into Britain. Crowds of people rioted on the streets demanding, 'Give us back our 11 days.'

Comment

Some things stick in your memory (No, I wasn't there in 1752!) But I do remember our lovely History teacher telling us about it and how people thought they had been robbed of 11 days of their lives.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Prince Harry, 3rd in succession to the throne, was born.

Comment

Britain introduced a 'two tier' postal system - First and Second Class. Letters and parcels bearing the more expensive 1st class stamps would be given priority of delivery.

Comment

I wonder if that's still the case!

Collection of post from post boxes where we live is uncertain. Our nearest box says collections are made by 9 am, but half the time they don't change the day display so you don't know when the last collection was made, and our old postie used to empty the post box about lunch-time, but I saw the new one emptying it about 10 am this week. It's pot luck, so it's probably also pot luck if it gets to the sorting office on time or not. So I wonder how they deal with 1st versus 2nd class items.

If you miss an early Saturday collection, and Monday's is too late for the sorting office it will already be Tuesday before it goes into the delivery system. That could be fore something you posted on Friday. I still optimistically use mainly first class stamps though.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                                X