No announcement yet.

Rollercoaster days with new baby!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a terrible time DD is having. Hope there is some improvement soon.
    Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Thank you Nan2.
      On the phone last night she was worrying about how she will cope when SIL returns to work. It's a couple of weeks yet so I hope this problem is resolved and she becomes more confident with the baby. SIL is doing most of the care apart from feeding.
      β€œA grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gemini, I do feel so sorry for your DD and her OH. This should have been a happy time for their little family.
        What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Gem I do hope there is some improvement today for your DD and SiL. Has she tried gently massaging the sore breast as well as warm flannels? Even if she manages to express a little milk, it might help stop it building up. The nurse at the hospital when I had DS, said my breast milk was full cream, top of the bottle stuff!

I do remember the pain when feeding when I had a breast infection. Doctor encouraged me to feed from the sore breast as often as I could even when taking antibiotics. Oh the relief when it finally cleared!

I do hope the reflexology will help her relax a bit. Sending love to you all xx
          Believe you can and you're halfway there.
          Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
            Thank you Nan2.
            On the phone last night she was worrying about how she will cope when SIL returns to work. It's a couple of weeks yet so I hope this problem is resolved and she becomes more confident with the baby. SIL is doing most of the care apart from feeding.
            Gem - I'm sure your poor DD has had everything against her. She must still feeling exhausted by the long labour and difficult birth, plus all the current pain and discomfort, plus the pressure on her from the "experts". Even the weather has been against her! If your SIL has another 2 weeks at home, she should be feeling much stronger in herself, less sore everywhere and hopefully feeding baby more comfortably.

Can the family help by, say, making some meals for the freezer to save on cooking? Can she have groceries delivered so she hasn't got to shop?

Once she's feeling better I'm sure her confidence will rocket. I think most new mums have a hard time, but there is almost a conspiracy of silence over just how difficult it can be and it's portrayed as this amazing time in a woman's life as she gets to know her baby (that's the baby who has read all the baby books and understands the medical targets he has to meet!)

I bet we can all remember the days when it got to tea time and we were still in our pyjamas!
            "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Well said Daisy. I do hope there will be light at the end of the tunnel soon Gemini

Comment

I am updating here after some time. There has just been nothing positive to say!

Today there is good news. Baby E, who hadn't regained his birthweight up to last week, has reached the weight of 8 pounds 10 . It was very concerning that he hadn't regained that weight especially as he is now over 4 weeks old. Last week he was 7. 10 I think. He has had almost all his feeds, both expressed breast milk and formula from bottles, so they could see how much he was taking. He had been having a lot! Also he was outgrowing his newborn size clothes and his cheeks have some 'pads' to them now. Despite all this DD was worried he hadn't gained, and what the experts would say. At todays midwife visit he was 8.10, so all is good there

Very little positive to report on the breast situation. DD is still on antibiotics, had two trips to the breast clinic for scans etc etc. There is a SLIGHT improvement, but not much. She was advised to stop trying to express or feed on that side.
                She is still in two minds about continuing with breast feeds as its so hard with only one working side.
                β€œA grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Good to hear baby E has gained some weight.
                  If i was in your DD's situation i think i would stop breast feeding.
                  Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Gem, I'm so glad baby E has comfortably exceeded his birth weight. Babies go at their own speeds, don't they. I feel so sorry though that your DD3, who is being an amazing new mum, has been put under such pressure by the need to meet targets! She is a real warrior, continuing to breast feed, and she couldn't do any more than she does. I can tell she doesn't really want to stop, and if she can continue it's lovely for her and E. But if it becomes too much then I'm quite sure little E will thrive on formula just as well.
                    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

That's good news about E's weight gain Gem! Poor little mite was probably still recovering from a traumatic birth and didn't want to feed, but he's settled now so the weight should keep increasing.
                      Hope DD3's breast soon gets back to normal and I hope she can keep going as long as she can with feeding him herself. Though with the bottle she can always have a rest and get someone else to feed him!
                      Believe you can and you're halfway there.
                      Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

Gem Clare was the same worried about Martin going back to work but she’s ok , still nervous but considering when these poor new mums have gone through and what is expected of them today no the wonder ,
                        As Daisy said ok if baby has read the rules and knows what these so called experts expect of them πŸ™„

Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I think new mums have more pressure on them today. I hope your DD will now be able to relax knowing he has reached his target weight Gemini.

Comment

Originally posted by WeeGranny View Post
                            That's good news about E's weight gain Gem! Poor little mite was probably still recovering from a traumatic birth and didn't want to feed, but he's settled now so the weight should keep increasing.
                            Hope DD3's breast soon gets back to normal and I hope she can keep going as long as she can with feeding him herself. Though with the bottle she can always have a rest and get someone else to feed him!
                            One huge advantage of breast-feeding for me was I absolutely had to sit down and relax for however baby wanted to feed. I found it was a time to chill out and concentrate of my baby. I always remember my MIL (who had 5 children) saying that she found the same, and she said woe betide anyone who disturbed her while she was feeding, even though she had the first 3 children in little over 3 years!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

DD has spoken to the breast clinic again. The breast will never be right as long as she continues breast feeding, is the general opinion.
                              So she will gradually taper it off.
                              If the mastitis ( still around despite all the antibiotics) were to clear she would definitely continue to feed for at least 6 months, her plan all along.

DD had a very rough and low day on Wednesday. I was chatting online with her all the way to meet the Omas, and DD had a long phone call with her while I was out. She was very upset.
                              Yesterday was much better thank goodness, and today even better. I hope things are better from now on.

If she could be free of the breast pain it would help a lot.

Comment

At last the antibiotics seem to be working!!!
                                ​​​​​
                                Last night DD's right breast began to leak. The old milk etc coming out. She was a little alarmed that it wasn't via the nipple as such but at the side. Her sisters and I reassured her that it coming out was a good thing. She looked it up and there are little glands there. It continued throughout the night and this morning. The breast feels easier and less full although the redness is the same. Now the gunk is coming off, the redness and infection should go.

Positive news at last.

Comment

Working...
                                X