No announcement yet.

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A woman gave birth to six babies in what was hailed as the first recorded case of live sextuplets in Britain.

I presume not all those babies survived, unlike the all girl Walton sextuplets who arrived later.
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

British Rail began its new 125mph Intercity 'High Speed Train' service. At the time of its introduction it was the fastest diesel-powered train in regular service in the world and remained so for many years afterwards.
      Engineers have calculated that, with a certain amount of rewiring, the Mark 3 carriages can be made to last until at least 2035.

I remember this well! As my in laws lived in London and my then OH often travelled to London with work, this was very welcome.
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

It's so sad that we don't seem to lead ourselves let alone the world in rail services at the moment.

I would love to see a lot of heavy freight going by rail instead of on our inadequate roads.
        "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Dr. No, the first James Bond film, was released. Based on the 1958 Ian Fleming novel of the same name it starred Sean Connery as the secret agent 007. The film was produced with a low budget, the first of a successful series of 27 Bond films. ​

Comment

Expenses documents showed that former cabinet minister Liam Fox successfully claimed 3p of taxpayers' money for a car journey of about 100 metres. The ex-defence secretary made another 15 claims of under £1 for car travel approved in 2012-13.

Comment

Sounds crazy! Was he trying to prove a point of some sort!
              "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Was Liam Fox a doctor?
                What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Zoologist Desmond Morris stunned the world with his book The Naked Ape that compared human behaviour with animals.

Comment

The Queen sued The Sun newspaper after it printed a private photograph.​

Comment

Gem, I don't remember that. Did she win?

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I don’t remember it either Daisy .
                        Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

The Battle of Hastings was fought, on Senlac Hill, near Pevensey.
                          An English army, commanded by King Harold, was defeated by the invasion force of William of Normandy. Harold was killed and Edgar the Ætheling was proclaimed king, but never crowned. William I 'The Conqueror' and the first Norman King of England, was subsequently crowned at Westminster Abbey on 25th December 1066.

Comment

The UK would have had a very different history without this epic battle! No idea wether it would have been better or worse though!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Colin Farmer, aged 61 and a blind stroke victim said that he thought he was going to die when he was shot in the back in Chorley town centre with a 50,000-volt Taser stun gun fired by a police officer who mistook his white stick for a Samurai sword.

Comment

I remember thinking at the time, how could you possibly mistake a white stick for a Samuai sword. Poor man.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                                X