See less

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Mull of Kintyre really that long ago!
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

During a petrol shortage, the government imposed a 50mph speed limit to save fuel.
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I don't remember that, but I suppose it was during the 3-day week and all the power shortages we endured.
        "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The Balcombe Street siege in Central London was watched by millions on television. It ended when the four IRA gunmen, who had taken a couple hostage following a gun battle and chase, finally gave themselves up without a shot being fired.

I remember this well.
          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gem, I remember it too. It was a time when we were getting regular alerts of IRA activity where I was living at the time.

It was so scary especially when a colleague and his family of OH's were taken captive by the IRA in their own home.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Remember it well B was in Ireland then ,
              Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma, that must have been terrifying for you, wondering what he was doing and if he was safe.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

A long time ago now Daisy.
                  Never forget it but he rarely speaks about that time , maybe if he’s with his army pals but it’s like another person and another life , Most soldiers are the same .
                  Last edited by Oma; 06-12-2023, 03:10 PM.
                  Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma, I think that is it exactly - it was/is another life and hard for non-military to really understand.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

My mum says her dad, my grandad, never ever talked about his experiences in the war. He had an arm which was patched up and repaired and was useless and all misshapen with bones visible thorough the skin, from his injuries.

Comment

Gem, how awful, but people were very stoical and brave. Those injuries sound dreadful and he must have been in pain from them.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Mum said he was, and didn't talk about receiving them. He did say he was glad his arm wasn't removed however, as he felt more normal and did so many things using his arm to rest things on. I never saw it. Mum only saw it once as he always wore long sleeves. He came back in one piece apart from that though. So many were not so lucky

Comment

Gem, yes, I suppose he was lucky. I presume this was the First World War. My dad's eldest brother didn't come back - he was 18 or 19 and died just a few days before the war ended. I was very upset to learn that he didn't have a grave - just his name on a memorial. Nobody ever mentioned him, except my auntie - his sister. So, so sad.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Yes Daisy World War 1. So many young lives lost or blighted

Comment

My father was a stretcher bearer on the Somme, never talked about that.
                                What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Working...
                                X