No announcement yet.

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost a hundred years ago. I wonder what he would think of today's huge tv sets, colour, fancy sound systems and hundreds of channels!

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

News of the end of tea rationing meant the prospect of unlimited 'cuppas' for the first time in 12 years.
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Cant imagine not being able to just make tea as and when now can you ,
        I remember my parents re using tea leaves till there was nothing left of them ,
        It must have been a war time thing waste not want not
        Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I'm sure it was a war time thing, Oma. I can remember customers in my dad's shop having to hand over coupons for tea, although I don't remember it ever being 'under the counter' like some basic things which were still in short supply and saved for regular customers. It was all loose leaf tea and every little bit was precious, wasn't it.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

A survey for the UK's National Farmer's Union discovered that pop music increased egg production in chickens!

“A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I wonder who their favourite group is!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Three armed men raided a Turkish bath in London, but the well heeled customers were wearing very little clothing, and the robbers' total haul was only £7.

Comment

Not one of the most productive robberies ever, then!!!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

A Scottish fisherman found a message in a bottle. It had been thrown in the North Sea in 1914 to chart the currents.

Comment

Nowadays the bottle could well be plastic and just one more item to pollute our seas.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The first airline meals were served on a Handley-Page flight from London to Paris. They were pre-packed lunch boxes at 3 shillings each (15p).

Comment

Things have come full circle with the low-cost airlines only offering pre-packed meals as an extra cost.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The Queen sued The Sun newspaper after it printed a private photograph.

Comment

An historic moment for Queen Elizabeth II as she became the first British monarch to walk along the Great Wall of China.

Comment

Britain's Public Morals Committee attacked the use of contraceptives, on the basis that they caused 'poor hereditary stock'.

Comment

Working...
                                X