See less

Today's News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When our children were growing up we moved around the country quite a lot. As consequence of this we were often making quite long journeys to see friends, and particularly, family. When they were very small we had a unit of time called "A Playschool". This was used to give them an idea of how long till we get there. So if they imagined watching Playschool 3 times that would be about an hour! The other vital piece of information they'd ask was "When do we get to the Little Chef"? We were regular visitors to this child-friendly haven in various parts of the country.

Sadly, today's children don't have that little treat to look forward to on long journeys. Life has changed, more people want a quick snack and a hot drink, which many petrol stations are happy to supply and sadly all 439 Little Chefs have vanished. How did that happen! Where did they go! Here's the story - as so often happens, taken over by big businesses who lost sight of the changing times and failed to change with them.

At its height, Little Chef had 439 restaurants across the UK but just two decades later they were all gone.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

We used to love Little Chefs when the girls were little .
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

How interesting Daisy, I wondered what had happened to them.
        What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Plant, it seems like a combination of various larger businesses taking over the Little Chef chain, and not understanding who its customers were, plus changing habits of the travelling public. Every time we have to stop at a Motorway service station where everything is brash, noisy and probably deep fried I think how civilised it was to take small children to a cafe where we all sat down, someone took your order and provided crayons and paper for little people and delivered your drinks in seconds, and your food on proper plates with real cutlery.

It definitely wasn't posh food, but you knew what you were getting (plaice in breadcrumbs was my go-to), and the toilets were nice and clean. There were enough soft furnishings to absorb sound, and it was a real break for the driver. I often used to take the children from Bedfordshire, West Sussex or Surrey to Angelsey on my own, and that break was very welcome.
          "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

We certainly used them quite a bit.

Comment

Dame Floella Benjamin has been awarded a BAFTA Fellowship. I don't usually pay much attention to such things, but Floella Benjamin is an amazing lady . I imagine a lot of us Grannies first saw her as a presenter on Playschool when our own children were little. Both my sons are among those she calls her "Playschool babies". Her campaigning work over the years has been mainly for children, and was made a Dame in 2019.

The TV presenter, producer, and campaigner is receiving the British Academy's highest honour.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I have always admired the work she does , loved her as you say on Play school , happy memories.
                Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Is this the ultimate thrill, or plain crazy? Can you imagine, jumping out of a helicopter hovering at about 3,000 feet above the River Thames? Then, flying under Tower Bridge? Diving down to 115 ft above the river, before soaring upwards and releasing your parachute?

No, I thought not! Neither can I.

This was the challenge two members of the Red Bull Skydive Team completed (safely, thank goodness) after over 200 practice jumps.

The two Red Bull skydivers said completing the challenge at the landmark was "a dream come true".

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I wouldn’t do it but must have been good to watch, they looked happy anyway 😁
                    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma, J once flew under Tower Bridge in a flight simulator. Even that was heart stopping, but he did it and landed safely!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Not and never has been for me to do things like that. Must be exciting though

Comment

OH probably would, but not me!
                          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

My OH is fascinated by all things about Ancient Egypt, including the pyramids. So a few years ago we found ourselves standing looking up at the iconic pyramids in Giza and pondering how on earth they were built several thousand years ago. The individual "bricks" are huge and obviously the buildings have been robust enough to be still standing. I didn't fancy going inside but OH said the interiors were equally remarkable.

Now it seems that archaeologists from the University of North Carolina believe that the pyramids of Giza and some of the others were probably built along a long-lost stretch of the River Nile. Modern technology has revealed the likely course of the now-buried stretch of river and ancient structures which have long been buried under the sand.

For thousands of years the mystery of how the pyramids were built has left scientists scratching their heads, but now they think they've cracked it.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Fascinating Daisy It must be amazing to see the Pyramids for real.

Comment

Gem, OH thought it was amazing. I have to say I didn't particularly enjoy it. Hot, very dusty/sandy/and constant pestering to go on camel rides or buy tat. OH says I have no soul, but I just don't see the attraction. Of course I see something huge that we'd have difficulty building even today, let alone then, but that's all.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                                X