No announcement yet.

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was announced that the Stone of Scone, the symbol of Scottish nationalism, stolen by Edward I of England in 1296, was to be returned to Scotland from Westminster Abbey where it has been used in the coronation of 30 British monarchs.​
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Dorothy Levitt became the first English woman in the world to compete in a 'motor-race'. She was the most successful female competitor in Great Britain, also a victorious speedboat driver, holder of the Water Speed record and holder of the Ladies World Land speed record. She even instructed Queen Alexandra and the Royal Princesses on how to drive.​
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Britain's National Health Service came into operation when Aneurin Bevan, the health secretary, launched the NHS at Park Hospital in Davyhulme (today known as Trafford General Hospital). It was the climax of a hugely ambitious plan to bring good healthcare to all.
        Doctors immediately announced the setting-up of a fighting fund to oppose the legislation, fearing a loss of earnings.

Let's hope that somehow the new government can do something to restore the NHS to something similar to the way it was intended to be.

Comment

Britain's first non-white MP was elected when Dadabhai Naoraji won the Central Finsbury seat.​

Comment

Christopher Stone became the first 'disc jockey' on British radio when he presented his 'Record Round-up' from Savoy Hill.​

Comment

I wonder how long he continued, I seem to remember his name.
              What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

A London double-decker bus parked in Battersea, was put on sale for £40,000. It had been converted into a luxury home to overcome rising property prices in the capital.

Comment

Martin Luther king was arrested for a demonstration he was involved in during December 1961
                  Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Admiral Horatio Nelson lost his right eye at the siege of Calvi in Corsica

Comment

Ruth Ellis became the last woman to be hanged in Britain
                      She was executed at Holloway prison for the murder of her lover David Blakely

Comment

I remember my mum talking about this case.

Oma, thank you for doing these.

Comment

I will do them till your back Gem 😁❤️

Comment

Thank you Oma. xx

I remember the Ruth Ellis case as well. I was 12 and it was then that I felt very strongly that hanging (or execution of any sort) was wrong.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The goverment announced all infants and nursing mothers would get fresh milk fee or at no more than two pence a pint.

imagine only paying 2p a pint now 😁

Comment

Oma , I remember when I was in London at college in the 70's milk was 6 and a half pence a pint. I shared a flat with 2 other girls and we paid 2 pence each and took it in turns to pay the extra half P!
                                ​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X