No announcement yet.

Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a very scary period in world history. I can remember the grown ups talking about it there was so much fear right through the Cold War.
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Oxford University announced that Sue Brown would become the first woman cox in the history of the University Boat Race.
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

1472www.beautifulbritain.co.uk

Orkney and Shetland were pawned by Norway to Scotland in lieu of a dowry for Princess Margaret, daughter of Christian I, the King of Norway and Denmark. As the wife of King James III of Scotland she was the Queen Consort and the mother of the future King James IV of Scotland.
        “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

That must be one of the strangest 'deals' for marriages ever.
          "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

A man found a 40lb pike in a flooded bunker at Wetherby Golf Club in West Yorkshire while he was searching for a ball.

Comment

Gem - I hope the pike hadn't swallowed the man's golf ball!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The last time all four Beatles were together for a recording session.

Comment

Princess Margaret and her friend, Roddy Llewellyn, left for a holiday on the romantic island of Mustique. On 10th May an announcement was made that the Princess intended to divorce Lord Snowdon after two years’ separation. A few days later, Roddy said that he had no plans to marry the Princess.

Comment

At 8.37 am in the London rush hour, a Northern Line underground train crashed through the buffers at Moorgate station and hit a solid dead-end wall, killing 41 people and seriously injuring 50. The rescue operation took three days to complete.

I remember this well. I lived in London at that time. I still avoid the first few carriages.

Comment

Gem - I remember it well, too. We lived just north of London and it was just before my DS2 was born. There was also a lot of IRA attacks too and a colleague and family of OH's were held hostage for a week-end. They lived just a couple of miles from us. There was a lot to be worried about!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

An unsuccessful attempt was made by Scotsman Roderick Maclean to assassinate Queen Victoria. As she was leaving Windsor railway station he stepped forward from the cheering crowd, lifted a revolver and fired into her carriage. Before a second shot could be fired, he was overpowered by the crowd and arrested by Superintendent Hayes. Remaining calm, the Queen and her companions rode on to Windsor Castle.

Comment

The Queen needed three stitches in her hand after intervening in a corgi fight.

Comment

It's hard to separate fighting dogs if they're not wearing a harness or a strong enough collar to lift one of them out of the fray!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Prime Minister Tony Blair was urged by 39 MPs not to back military action in Iraq.

Comment

... and he didn’t listen. 😰

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                                X