Collapse

sending love

to dear Daisy and her family
See more
See less

Feeling low - and then ....

Collapse
X

3 edible melons! Wow and double wow! Have you eaten one yet?
    I agree with you about the plot Daisy, I gave mine up 2 years ago. As for the greenhouse, I bought a compromise, a half greenhouse, half shed arrangement. Even half the roof is glazed so it is ideal for drying seed pods and growing seeds, overwintering stuff as well as storing tools. It’s my glory hole.
    All this is very well but a sunny patio sounds nicer.😎
    Women are like tea bags; you never know how strong they are until they are put in hot water.
    Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Grauntie - that's pretty much what I said when I kept finding the melons hidden in the triffids. I've since found another small one! The large ones aren't quite ripe (as in the stalks aren't starting to deteriorate) but one is nearly ready. They need plenty of sunshine to ripen them up a bit more. As you would imagine, they're not neatly hanging in nets like Monty Don's, But I've lifted them off the soil to hopefully keep the slugs off.

I've just got this picture in my mind of OH and I sitting on comfy loungers, glass in hand, on a nice flat tidy patio, with maybe a few beautifully scented plants, listening to the bees buzzing in and out of them and watching the butterflies flutter around. I don't know if I'll feel the same in January or February when it's such bliss to escape to the greenhouse and start growing things!

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

There is always any available windowsill indoors...😆
        Women are like tea bags; you never know how strong they are until they are put in hot water.
        Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Our house has very few windowsills and most of them face north! But I have got the summerhouse and I could put some temporary staging in there to start seeds off, and there's electricity for a heated propagator. Food for thought, Grauntie - thank you.
          "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I love all the input on this thread
            “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Go for it Daisy, that patio sounds good to me.
              What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

The patio wins hand down for me Daisy! You could always get one of those little growing houses if you feel the need to grow your own!
                Believe you can and you're halfway there.
                Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

When gardening becomes a chore rather than a pleasure, it REALLY is time for a re think. An allotment certainly is a lot of work and a big commitment. How about getting someone in to help in the garden for a few hours to get on top of it all again. This will also give you time to re adjust after your very challenging few weeks that you’ve had to deal with. If you still feel like scrapping the greenhouse then at least you won’t regret any hasty decisions. Good luck and make sure you take care of yourself.
                  Always face the sunshine and the shadows fall behind you.

Comment

Sunshine - I think we might have to get a bit of help, although OH has borrowed DS2's Karcher for cleaning the patio - it also zaps the weeds, but at the moment it's finding time to actually use the thing.

WeeGranny - I hadn't thought about those little grow houses - I'm pretty sure someone on here has one and finds it very productive.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

We have a neighbour about 4 doors down who has MS he lives on his own since his wife left and he hasn't been able to do his front drive and garden , only small but when your ill still a lot to manage ,It was becoming over grown and the drive was full of weeds ,
                      Today 3 young lads turned up and a girl , I think they were relatives , they worked all day even in the rain clearing the lawn away putting membrane down then bark , then they pressure hosed all the weeds out of his drive and re sanded it , it looks lovely . going to be so much easier for him
                      Pressure hoses are such a useful tool, messy but great finish
                      Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

What a lovely thing to do for your elderly neighbour Oma. Well done to those young folk.
                        What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

That's what OH and I could do with Oma, a band of younger helpers to help us blitz mum's back garden!! We fight a losing battle over summer with the time we have available.
                          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Oma - what lovely youngsters to make over the garden like that. I bet the owner is delighted.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

My nephew often comes and does various jobs for me eg. Cleaning the patio and drive. He has also painted the fence, although I did it myself the last time. I give him some money for his time and feed him. (That’s his favourite bit.) I would rather put money in his pocket than a random stranger. He works shifts, so when he is off during the day he is more than happy to do something useful.
                              Always face the sunshine and the shadows fall behind you.

Comment

Sunshine - he's a good lad, isn't he. And I bet you feed him well.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                                X