Accents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oma View Post
    I hate the north east accent but at least my Mackem accent isn’t as broad as a Geordie one .
    I think we are very similar to a Scottish accent .

I cringe when I hear it spoken on TV
    Oma, I love you accent! It sounds warm and friendly.

WeeGranny, I like to hear most Scottish accents, but have trouble understanding broad Glaswegian. Your story about turnips and swedes explains the confusion over what "Neeps and tatties" are.

Gem, years ago, before mobile phones, we were in America - San Diego, I think, and I needed to use a public phone "box" to make a call home. I couldn't remember whether you needed 5 cents or 10 cent coins, but I knew I'd need a lot. So I asked a young couple nearby "is it 10 or 5 cents for the phone?" They looked at me, looked at each other, clearly puzzled, and eventually the young man looked at his watch and said, "no, honey it's 10 of 6" D:

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

When we met in Birmingham the first time that is the thing I remember most was hearing your lovely accents.
      What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

[QUOTE=Oma;n204806]I hate the north east accent but at least my Mackem accent isn’t as broad as a Geordie one .
        I think we are very similar to a Scottish accent .

Oh no! I LOVE the North East accent. I used to often stay with my dear friend from when we were students at her home in Whitley Bay. She had an aunt and Uncle in Embleton and I loved their voices. I think it’s by far and away the most attractive accent in Britain. People pronounce every consonant and syllable and the rhythms are lovely.

So there!

Comment

I've just read what I thought was an interesting fact.

The British accent changes approximately every 25 miles!
          "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Sum1
            everyone say they like it but I think it sounds harsh .

Daisy
            I believe it does , just in our region we have variations, just few miles apart ,
            Living in Washington it’s made up of people from several areas so people born in Washington now they have a accent that is a mixture , so another variation is appearing 😁
            Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma, I noticed it most when we lived in north Wales, near to the English border, and the Wirral. There was a very distinctive accent in the Deeside area of north Wales which I can only describe as North Welsh Scouse.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

When we lived in Holland, DS went to the local Kleuterskool when he turned 4. He quickly learned to speak Dutch and even had the local accent> I remember him correcting me when we were shopping because I hadn't said something correctly. He doesn't remember a word now because thay say you need to be able to read and write in a foreign language to remember it.
                Believe you can and you're halfway there.
                Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

Leeds isn't far from where I live but the accent is very different.
                  “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by WeeGranny View Post
                    When we lived in Holland, DS went to the local Kleuterskool when he turned 4. He quickly learned to speak Dutch and even had the local accent> I remember him correcting me when we were shopping because I hadn't said something correctly. He doesn't remember a word now because thay say you need to be able to read and write in a foreign language to remember it.
                    WeeGranny, I didn't know that - that you needed to read and write a foreign language to remember it. What a pity your DS doesn't remember his Dutch now.

Gem, I would imagine accents vary over the various areas of Yorkshire, and the more rural the area the more localised it is. When I was growing up in Stoke there were very different accents between the north and the south of the city, and even more so in more rural outskirts of the city.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy View Post
                      I've just read what I thought was an interesting fact.

The British accent changes approximately every 25 miles!
                      That's interesting.
                      Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Daisy, DS is having to learn Slovak and when he lived in the south of the country he was in a Hungarian speaking area. He can get by in both languages now! Which is very handy as I'm limited to Please/ Thank you/ I don't speak Slovak!!!!
                        Believe you can and you're halfway there.
                        Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

WeeGranny, all credit to your DS doing so well in two 'difficult' languages. I think your Slovac is probably better than 99.9% of other English speakers.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                          X