Today in History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March 31st 1949
    Winston Churchill declares that the A-bomb was the only thing that kept the Soviet Union from taking over Europe.
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

April 1st 1918

England's Royal Air Force is formed.

“A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

April 2nd 1982

Argentina invades the British-owned Falkland Islands.

Comment

April 3rd 1944
          The U.S. Supreme Court rules that black citizens are eligible to vote in all elections, including primaries.

Comment

21 Jul 1969

US astronaut Neil Armstrong becomes the first man to walk on the moon, stepping down from Apollo 11

Comment

Not been in here before,but I love these kind of reminders about history.
              Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

[QUOTE=Gemini;n22584]21 Jul 1969

US astronaut Neil Armstrong becomes the first man to walk on the moon, stepping down from Apollo 11[/QUO

I heard on the news today that the spacesuit Neil Armstrong wore during his epic journey on the Moon is falling apart.
                The museum where it is on show needs half million in funding to ensure its saved for the future .

The campaign is called Reboot the Suit: Bring Back Neil Armstrong’s Spacesuit
                Bring me sunshine in your smile.

Comment

That's a heck of a lot of money.

Comment

How could I have 'lost' this thread after seeing the first post and thinking what a good idea it is! So here's today's contribution:

Eight years ago today 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", the final book in the HP series was published. 11 million copies are sold worldwide within 24 hours!

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

1983 Coldest Recorded Day -128.6º F (-89º C) in Vostok, Antarctica.

Comment

Nanto - that's a bit too chilly for me!!!

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Too cold for me as well.
                          1995 Two astronomers, Alan Hale in New Mexico and Thomas Bopp in Arizona, almost simultaneouly discover a comet.

Comment

Gosh! So it could have been Bopps Comet!

Comment

24th July 1851

The Window Tax is abolished in Britain.

Hurrah!!!! Let there be light!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Then there was light.

Comment

Working...
                                X