Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Coronation

Collapse
X

The Coronation

Did anyone watch this this evening? It was Her Majesty talking about the her Coronation in 1953.

I realise a lot of you were too young to remember the actual occasion, but I was just 10 and can remember crowding round our tiny tv (I think it was something like a 10" screen in an enormous cabinet). It was my birthday two days previously and I had lot of Coronation souvenir presents - books, mugs etc. I can remember an aunty saying to my mother "May, this is the last Coronation we'll see", which at the time I thought was very strange, but of course it was true. I was fascinated by the very exotic-looking Queen of Tonga as she rode in an open carriage through the rain and drizzle. I didn't realise there must have been a lot of tv camera and wondered how they'd got the view from high up in Westminster Abbey and the street scenes! LOL

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

I was on the Embankment with a school group, it was a dreadfully wet and cold day but we had a good view. Also over the tannoy they announced that Hilary and Tensing had conquered Everest
    What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Oh I missed it , will have to watch on catch up
      Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I recorded it Daisy, it looked interesting when i saw it advertised.
        I was only 2 so can't remember it. I've since been told we had a tv,and some of the neighbours came in to watch it.
        Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

I missed it, saw the trailer though and thought it looked good. I’ll do catch up!

I was 9, 10 a week later. I remember we all made banners at school with E II R in the middle and we had a street party. My father was a radio technician/electrician and he made our first TV in time for the coronation and all the neighbours came round to watch. He hadn’t quite got it into a cabinet so we all sat on benches in the Garage!
          "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr Seuss

Comment

I missed it too will try and catch up with it, I was a just a 3 yrs old

Comment

I wasn't born until the following year
              “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I was nearly 2 so don’t remember anything. I think there was a street party and my aunt went up to London to see it. She bought each of us a coronation crown (coin not bejewelled head gear!) which I still have somewhere.

The programme was very interesting and well worth watching (unless you are a republican that is!)
                xx

Comment

Shem - I enjoyed it too. I had forgotten about the Coronation crown coins. I've got one somewhere, still in its cardboard box - a dark maroon colour, I think.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini View Post
                    I wasn't born until the following year
                    Twinkle in your dads eye then Gem 😉

Comment

Working...
                    X