Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100 Year Old Driving School

Collapse
X

100 Year Old Driving School

I have watched a couple of episodes of this. Some of the driving is downright scary and dangerous, and it's frightening to think that such drivers could be in our areas.
    Some older people managed well, particularly on their familiar routes.
    You could tell how much the elderly drivers lives were enhanced by driving, and how fearful they were of how life would become if they were unable to drive.
    It was a lifeline for them, and as viewer you wanted them to be allowed to continue - but not at the risk of everyone else's safety.

The thing which amazed me were the two 100 year old men who regularly drove themselves to the gym. The workouts were impressive!! There were very fit.

The lady in her 90's who had to help her husband in and out of the car and take him everywhere was amazing too. She pushed him in his wheelchair as it it was no effort, and was very upright.
    It made me think more about exercising and keeping myself fit. It must make old age more bearable!
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

I think there should be biennial check ups for people in later years. I was shouted down at lunch club once but there are at least three people there who really shouldn't be behind the wheel. As we get older it is harder to self assess your own abilities especially as driving and independence are so closely linked.

xx

Comment

Very true Shem. If you see your independence being taken away from you, it would be easy to underplay sight and reaction difficulties.
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I agree Shem. I have a lovely friend in her mid 80's and I really don't want to upset her but I have decided that I really do not want to go with her when she drives anywhere. So if we go out together I drive. She has had so many accidents in the last 4 or 5 years and recently almost wrote her car off! She says she is fine to drive but her reactions are definately not as quick as they could be.
        "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr Seuss

Comment

It gets very difficult when these really bad drivers keep offering you lifts. Insisting that you enjoy standing at the bus stop in a howling gale or rainstorm! Fortunately we have a newish member in her 70s who I feel very safe with.

xx

Comment

I dread having to give up driving. should hate to have to rely on others.
            What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

I saw a bit of the programme. There are definately some who shouldn't be behind the wheel.
              Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

My FIL was very reluctant to give up driving and eventually was forced into it following an accident that left a young man with a broken leg. This meant they had to move from their country cottage that they had downsized to and move to St Leonards (nr Hastings). My MIL enjoyed the novelty of having shops nearby and being able to pop out and buy whatever was needed.
                xx

Comment

My auntie had to give up driving in her early 80's, due to her eye condition, macular degeneration. She stopped the day the Drs told her it was unwise to drive any more. She misses it, but she manages.

Comment

It's a growing problem I suppose as the population ages, and public transport doesn't improve, unless you live in a large town.

I was very shocked when the optician told me how low the bar was for eyesight for drivers. And that isn't always older people either who have poor distance vision. I think it should be tougher.

I wouldn't mind if there was some kind of compulsory assessment when you get into, say, your 70s - eyesight, reflexes, ability to look over your shoulder to reverse, up-to-date knowledge of the Highway Code, ability to use a sat nav and know what all the lights on the dashboard mean etc.
                    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

And how to use the radio?! 😳😀

Comment

Enfys - I think you just stream your music through your phone now and it connects to the car speakers.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

🤓. We still use cds/radio. Must investigate

Comment

Enfys - so do we!!!

I noticed an article in our local newspaper today about Driving Assessment for the 60+s - voluntary, but you get an assessment of your eyesight and a driving assessment based on the routes you drive most often, so if you only drove to say your local shops in day light that is what they'd assess you on. I think this scheme is run by our County Council, but I suppose other areas do them as well. It cost £35.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I have watched this and am sure some of those that the examiner passed where very close to the mark to say the least as much as I love having the freedom of my little car if someone even suggested that I may not be safe I would first arrange a new test of some sorts and if not satisfactory hang up my keys I'm afraid as I would hate to be responsible for causing an accident,all of the drivers must not have ever taken a driving test as such if they are 100yrs approx and that is very scary indeed.I do think you should be retested ( a full test) every 3 yrs and reflexs and eyes tested at the same time,a simulator type test would be good it could check if you knew all the up to date road signs.
                              Keep Calm,You're Fabulous

Comment

Working...
                              X