sending love

to dear Daisy and her family
See more
See less

Musicals

Collapse
X

Musicals

Something on another thread prompted me to start this one.

I love musicals. I am looking forward to seeing Jesus Christ Superstar when it will be touring in Novembers. It takes me back to seeing it in the West End in my student days, and playing the LP very loudly at home. DD1 recently told me she remembers this well

Are you a musicals person, if so which musicals have you really enjoyed?
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

I'm definitely a musicals person. I like a lot of the older ones e.g. Sound of Music,Joseph,Blood Brothers,West Side Story etc.etc.

Comment

Aspects of love was brilliant with Michael Ball. Chicago excellent With Marti Pellow. Saw Caberet with will young not long ago. Didn't realise the ending was so sad. Loved Oklahoma, seven brides for seven brothers, west side story. The musicals with elvis and summer holiday with cliff Richards. Also like the ones with frank Sinatra, Fred Astaire. In fact if there is singing and dancing in it I will most probably enjoy it. Loved the les miserable film though never seen the stage version.
      xx

Comment

I'm with you all I love musicals less miserable was amazing
        Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I adore musicals. I am often found cushions on floor, chin in hands, legs swinging behind me crying my eyes out at West Side Story (also reminds me of my dad as he loved that musical as well). When we got married our big bunch of friends, knowing that we actually didn't need anything for the house paid for us to have a night in the Ritz in London with dinner and tickets for Phantom. I love Carousel (another one that has me blubbing) and one that I haven't seen for ages called Brigadoon. Chess was one of my favourites as well, we have seen Les Mis. a few times,
          Evita, Cats, Mama Mia and a few obscure ones that bit the dust quick quickly. Another of my big favourites is Blood Brothers. I saw the original one and saw it loads of times after with various singers in the starring role. I quite often listen to the music on my hipad.

Husband is taking me to see "Beautiful" the Carole King Story on my birthday. I have wanted to see it since I first saw it advertised. I am not sure what to wear, I still have a lot of my hippy type clothes which were in vogue in the days of the Tapestry album which is one of my favourites even now but I don't want to look ridiculous.

We are still popping up to Newcastle on Thursday, getting the 3.10 plane back to London if anyone wants to meet?
          Last edited by ZIZI; 14-08-2015, 04:53 PM.
          If you want to go fast go alone, if you want to go far go together

Comment

Can only think of 2 musical films I like, Sound of Music and the Jazz Singer with Neil Diamond.

I have only seen 1 musical on the stage, The Lion King. I enjoyed it,was very good.We saw that on our last visit to London,which was in 2000.
            Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

I saw Jesus Christ Superstar about three years ago. It was with Tim Minchin and Mel B. What a fantastic show, it had me buzzing for ages. But be prepared, it is very loud!! You will love it I'm sure I have also seen Sound of Music and twice seen Joseph. Also seen Cliff Richard live a few years ago.

Comment

Mama Mia, I have seen JCSS several times over the years. It is loud! One time I saw it when heavily pregnant with DD1. She was really bouncing around to the loud music

I love Blood Brothers too. Oliver was brilliant, Joseph I love, Cats, Lion King, Phantom. I loved the film of Les Mis, but not seen the show. Many more that I can't bring to mind now.
                The only musical I have seen which I didn't like was Chicago. It's one of OHs favourites, but it left me cold.
                “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

For me, there's a huge difference between seeing a musical film and seeing a live show. Films I've loved include The Sound of Music, Cabaret, West Side Story, the Wizard of Oz, Grease, My Fair Lady and Mamma Mia. In a musical film, the locations, scenery and the fabulous sound systems of modern films all add to the enjoyment.

But stage musicals have oodles of atmosphere, and it always seems more of an 'occasion' - probably because most of the ones I've seen have been in the West End so have entailed at least one day out in London as well. I've enjoyed Jesus Christ Superstar, Joseph, West Side Story, 42nd Street, Cats, Starlight Express, The Buddy Holly Story and Bombay Dreams.

I'm probably the only person in the world who didn't particularly enjoy either Phantom of the Opera or Les Miserables.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I love musicals but it's been a few years since we've been to the theatre.
                    I've enjoyed every single one I've seen and it's hard to pick a favourite.
                    How to choose from Oliver !, West Side Story, Phantom of the Opera , Chicago the list goes on but there is one musical I would never go and see and I know I am going to shock some of you its .......
                    The Sound of Music. I dislike every single song, the story line , in fact everything about it.
                    Bring me sunshine in your smile.

Comment

Mimi - perhaps you and I should start a thread about the musicals we haven't enjoyed!!
                      "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I must admit I am not a big fan of Sound of Music. I have seen Starlight Express (went to the premiere) and Jesus Christ Super Star, Buddy Holly and Joseph, I also saw Hair in the very early days, that was quite radical, but then we are closer to theatres than some.

I love live theatre and, although not a musical, I would recommend War Horse. it is a wonderful production.
                        If you want to go fast go alone, if you want to go far go together

Comment

Oh, I have seen Hair too Zizi, and Godspell

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy View Post
                            Mimi - perhaps you and I should start a thread about the musicals we haven't enjoyed!!
                            My list would take forever to read.
                            Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

We went to see Jesus Christ Superstar last night. This is a musical I love. It transports me back to my student days in London in the 70's, when a group of us would go to see it in the West End regularly! I have seen it several more times over the years, but only in London
                              I just didn't feel it was quite right on the smaller stage. Also, in my opinion neither Christ nor Judas were strong enough singers, and the actor playing Christ just wasn't right for the role. Mary Magdalene was lovely, but her singing style was more like speaking and I didn't like it!
                              All that apart, it was lovely to see it again

Comment

Working...
                              X