Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Born from the same stranger

Collapse
X

Born from the same stranger

I noticed this and recorded it and have just watched it. I gather it is a series but the episode below is the only one I have seen so far.

The law recently changed regarding the offspring of donor sperm being able to trace and contact their birth father, and half siblings.

In this episode it follows two such people who have taken this step. I won't say much about the outcome in case anyone wants to watch it.
    My own personal view is that it's lovely to reach out to half siblings, but the donor didn't sign up for a lot of 'children' turning up 30 years later!

We can't know how we would feel unless in this position I realise.

This topic interests me as we know several 'donated' children. Four of them are from female couples, so will of course always know they were donated. One belongs to male/female couple. They are still undecided about letting him know. I can see how it must be hard especially for the dad bringing him up, but as was clear on this programme, the people who found out in the 20's and 30's found it harder to come to terms with.
    I think it's a bit like adoption, best to let it be always just a fact that they know as they grow up rather than a big reveal or something they stumble upon accidentally.

Anyway, if this topic interests you at all, this programme is worth a watch. Some nice people on there

Today, we meet Amanda, who has put off searching until now because she’s worried about the impact on her mum and dad, and Adam, whose parents talk openly about the experience.
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Gem, it sounds a really interesting programme, and from what you say, the issues arising are treated sensitively.

I've always thought it better for adopted children to know they were chosen and special, but I guess we are only now seeing how babies born via donated sperm are feeling as adults. I think the point about dad donors is well made, especially if their natural family didn't know about the donations.

It also raises the ongoing debate about nature versus nurture, doesn't it.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I read just the other day where a childless man now has 35 children , he has met 34 of them and they have all met each other ,
      He is on constant contact with all of them and has even been on holiday with several.
      It all started by one DD who contacted other siblings after obtaining records.
      This gentleman did sign saying he didn’t object to any of them contacting him in the future and giving as much info as he could .

Im not sure it’s a good thing keeping it from children till there 20-30 ,
      I think like Adoption they should know but be told in a calm casual manner not make a big deal of it .

My ex SIL was adopted she never felt the need to find her birth parents till her Mam & Dad died ,
      She found out the birth parents had married and went on to have more children,
      She now has a whole new family but they don’t all get on with her, mind you she is loud and a bit in your face so that could be the reason.
      Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I have been watching this programme. Several of the donors were students who did it for payment.
        What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

I have only watched one episode,but i have recorded the others.
          Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Working...
          X