sending love

to dear Daisy and her family
See more
See less

Football World Cup

Collapse
X

Football World Cup

It seems there's some sort of football competition going on!

It seems to be the dominant news item, there are endless matches on tv and I even had an email from a supermarket asking if I was "team ready" - whatever that may mean!

I know there is also a lot of unhappiness surrounding the political and human rights issues, but what do you think about the whole thing?
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Even Bargain Hunt has been moved to BBC2!!

TV programmes switched around, plus an OH who records and watches the majority of matches, it's no fun!
    β€œA grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I don’t watch a lot of TV but I do think they could have dedicated a Chanel to football rather than the main one ,
      I feel sorry for people who live alone and TV especially morning TV is there only source of company .

Not everyone cares about football or who plays who .
      Im lucky B only watched a few matches , my Sisters husband is obsessed he has football and sky sports on all day ,
      He would be relegated to the shed if he was mine πŸ™„πŸ˜
      Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I was torn between this thread and How They Make you Smile!

GD2's junior school, like many others, televised the England game against (haha, cant' remember who!) the other day, and the children were allowed to watch it in the hall. GD and all her friends said "no thank you" and did art and crafts in their classroom instead!

OH watched the Wales match this morning, although he wasn't very happy with the result. But he's had to go out this afternoon and the tv is getting a rest.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

What makes me angry is all those footballers/reporters etc saying how bad Qatar is in human rights/ homosexuality/ women's rights etc,. If they feel that strongly about it, then it might have made their comments more believable/acceptable if they'd refused to go there. As for Harry Kane sporting his enormous costly Rolex as a way of protest only words fail me! I was hoping someone might smash it on the field when he was playing.
          You got to foreign countries, you abide by their rules and regulations or you stay at home. OH was there for five years and had to pay a sum of money to a worker he'd knocked off his bike, despite the fact that there were no lights on the bike! The alternative was time in prison so there was no question of him not paying! The Christian minister was a 'piano teacher' and services at the Church ( the school hall) were by word of mouth. No written announcements! It was a strange place to stay, but you got used to their ways and made sure you didn't step out of line.
          Believe you can and you're halfway there.
          Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

WeeGranny, thank you, that's an interesting insight into life in Qatar.

I agree, the most powerful protest (if that is what anyone wishes to do) is to stay away. If you chose to support the event by attending or working there then they will expect you to abide by their way of life. We live in an incredibly liberal country where we mostly accept others' ways of life, and their customs, and perhaps in an ideal world all countries would be as accepting of each other, but that's not how it is.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

What my cat thinks of it all.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              β€œA grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

He's very sensible, Gem!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Last evening the football took over the 2 main channels so I decided to watch the England/Wales game, how boring was that! It was from me to you, you to me and so on. I did try!
                  What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Plant, I agree, but that burst of goals in the second half lifted the game, although it certainly didn't lift my OH's spirits.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Oh I missed the action then.
                      What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Working...
                      X