Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Year in the New Forest

Collapse
X

A Year in the New Forest

Just watching this on Channel 4. Just wonderful. Have you seen it Daisy.

Sum1 - yes, we've just watched it on +1. I also saw the first episode, but missed last week's.

It's always interesting to see what outsiders look at when they film or write about the Forest, and I wish they would spend a little more time with the interesting people, like the young lad calving his cows this week, and perhaps more about the more readily seen aspects of nature. We've lived here over 30 years and I've never seen a Goshawk! I think people visiting the Forest would like to have some ideas about the wild life they are likely to see. I loved the short sequence of the badgers playing in the spring, but it might have been interesting to know what to look out for to find them in the first place. The deer are also very interesting to watch - but so far I've only seen red deer on the programme.

A lot of visitors are surprised to see animals on the roads and in the villages.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Oh I missed it again 😕
      Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Agree with all of that Daisy. It’s a part of the country I don’t know at all and I would love to have a guide to accessible spots and also an indication of common and rare plants, birds and animals. We were away last week so I didn’t even realise that it was the second in a series!

Comment

Sum1 - the Visitor Information Centre at Lyndhurst has lots of leaflets about various aspects of Forest life, and there's a reference library etc. It's well-resourced but I think it would be great if programmes about the Forest on terrestrial tv channels were in more depth to encourage people to be curious before they arrive here - as you are.

The New Forest Heritage Centre is an essential part of your visit to the Forest. Set in the heart of the National Park in Lyndhurst, you'll find a fascinating Museum, Reference Library, Exhibition Gallery, Gift Shop, Café and friendly staff to answer all your questions about the New Forest and how to best enjoy it. The Museum is packed full of information and fun activities. Enjoy the sights and sounds of the Beaulieu Road Pony Sales and step back in time into our traditional Cob Cottage. Don't miss our new Family Fun Tree in the heart of the Museum. You can learn how to detect animals in our Poo Corner game, listen to the sounds of wild and commoner owned animals, marvel at gigantic creepy crawlies and indulge in some good old fashioned bark rubbing. You can even share your thoughts with us on what the Forest means to you by adding to our paper leaf mulch! Upstairs in our unique reference library, we have the largest collection of printed material on the Forest on public access. Whether you're a student, researcher or family historian you'll be sure to find something here to fascinate you. If you've only got a few minutes to spend, then pop into The New Forest Gallery where there's an ever changing programme of exhibitions related to the Forest. You'll also find our annual programme of events and activities on the website. Once you've seen the Museum, visited our well stocked shop and enjoyed a snack in our relaxed café, you won't be able to wait to get out into the Forest and when you've experienced it for yourself you'll want to know more about it. The New Forest Heritage Centre is the perfect way to start and finish your visit to the New Forest National Park. CLICK TO VIEW GREEN LEAF SILVER AWARD DETAILS     

Can we tempt you to visit?

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I keep missing it, must try and get it on IPlayer.
            What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Working...
            X