Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buckingham Palace

Collapse
X

Buckingham Palace

I was having a discussion with GD1's partner yesterday about who owns Buckingham Palace. I looked it up today and apparently it is owned by The Crown Estates, he had read that it was owned by some Duke and that was mentioned in the article. It referred to the Queen and Philip to be in their wiser years (a new title for me, much nicer than old age or retired). Prince Charles and Camilla have no intention of living there so I wonder what will happen to it? It will not be the same without the monarch living there and the balcony gatherings.
    What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

This is the first time Plant that I have heard that P.Charles & Camilla will not live there I personally think they should and that it would cause nation wide debate as to why it should be kept and paid for by the nation if not occupied by The Monarch,imagine them living somewhere else and saying to each other "remember we have to pop over to the Palace to wave from the balcony this week"
    Keep Calm,You're Fabulous

Comment

I don't think it should be left empty. The monarch ought to live there.
      Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

I also think monarch should live there.
        “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Plant i hadnt heard that either , if thats the case it should be opened to the public to generate the revenue for its upkeep ,
          I wonder where they would do busIness from then and what about when William takes the throne ?
          Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I think it was built relatively recently (unlike Windsor Castle) for a Duke/Lord?, and it was called Buckingham House. I only know this because one of our sons used to live in a road called Buckingham Walk, and we nick named his tiny house "Buck House"!!

I saw a programme on TV some time ago which was saying how difficult BP is to maintain, and needs of a lot of updating for modern electric, plumbing etc. As for heating - they must be tough. There was once a photo in the news of the Queen and Prince Philip having breakfast and in the fireplace there was a paper cut out of a fire to give an illusion of heat!! I don't think I'd want to live in a cold rabbit warren!

I think Queen Victoria was the first monarch to live there.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

It was built in 1703 by the Duke of Buckingham and then George 111 bought it for his wife Queen Charlotte.

Id love to look around, has any one done that? I know they used to do tours.
              "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr Seuss

Comment

Enfys OH and I did it several years ago, we loved it.
                “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

That is what I read Enfys.
                  What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

I'd love to visit there as well.
                    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I would love to visit and look around but not one of the standard tours I would like to wander off on my own and view all the nooks and crannies and go below stairs and visit the kitchens and staff quarters but then I am a nosey so and so.
                      Keep Calm,You're Fabulous

Comment

Glamm - that's what I'd like to do too.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I read somewhere that it’s regarded more as a place to work from and not at all comfortable. Michelle Obama is supposed to have made some derogatory comments after their stay there.
                          ​​​​​
                          That’s probably why the Royals nip of to Windsor or Balmoral whenever they can.
                          xx

Comment

Shem - when you see photos of the inside it doesn't look cosy, although those long corridors must have been great for the Queen's family to race round on their little bikes when they were tiny!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I can remember many many years ago, my granny went on a trip to London.
                              When she came home, the only comment she made was, the net curtains at BP need a damn good wash.
                              Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Working...
                              X