to dear Daisy and her family
See more
See less

Heated airers

Collapse
X

Heated airers

Does anyone have one of these?

Like an ordinary clothe airer but heated electrically.
    I remember DD1 buying one when GS was a baby, born in late October so lots of baby washing and no chance of drying outdoors.
    We need an new airer, I am considering one of these.
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

I haven’t but my SIL has one from Lakeland , she seems to like it ,
    Not sure how quickly they dry the clothes but would be interesting to know if anyone has one and can tell us .
    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I have an unheated airer but hardly use it. I mainly use it for woollens and trousers. I have a little lobby which is heated so I place it in there. Drying washing indoors, heated or unheated airers can lead to mildew. Both my GD’s have had that problem.
      What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Gem, I've thought about getting a heated airer. If we have to dry indoors I use one end of the dining room, by french windows and ordinary windows for some ventilation. I've currently got an airer which looks a bit like an umbrella without its covering for things on hangers, and an A-shaped airer for other things. Most things seem to dry pretty quickly, but it would be useful to be able to speed that up.

So I'll be interested to hear what you decide, and what other people think about them.
        "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Gem, i've thought about one of these as well. But,that is as far as have i got.
          I know some buy the covers for them,so the washing dries quicker.
          Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

I had a Lakeland heated airer .I also had the cover to put to over it .
            I have to admit I am not the biggest fan of these . The clothes takes forever to dry as you have to keep moving the clothes around because only the clothes that are touching the heated bars dry. Jeans or trousers take a long time to dry because the waist band and pockets are so thick. Towels are also a problem.
            If you only have a small amount of washing is possible to dry things faster .
            Also when the airer is fully opened it does take up a lot of room so when we downsized there was no room for it so I sold it .
            I dry washing outside when appropriate or , rather reluctantly, I use the the tumble dryer . As there are only the two of us I don't have to do washing every day so I appreciate for a family a Lakeland heated airer would be much cheaper to use than a tumble dryer
            Bring me sunshine in your smile.

Comment

I haven't a tumble drier, most days my washing dries outdoors, if not I have to pull out rails in spare bedroom, I hang all in there and they soon dry, no heating at all as it is the coldest room in the house. No damp either as I always have windows open no matter what the weather.

Comment

Plant I was going to say what Lizzie has just said. It's vital to have ventilation when drying indoors. We always have a window open when using airers and have never had any mildew. We dry in the spare bedrooms.

We have a (very old) tumble dryer in the garage. OH does not approve of the use of this due to the cost. So when it rains, and it rains and it rains, drying indoors is the only way!
                “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Thanks Mimi, it's very useful to hear from someone who has used one.

Comment

Gem, faced with a load of thick, heavy bath sheets I think it's totally in order to use the tumble dryer! And bed sheets. And anything you need in a hurry! We've just got a new tumble dryer and it's much more efficient and controllable than the old one, so I hope it will be more economical to run.
                    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I have an ordinary airier which is in the spare bedroom next to a radiator. I do have a dehumidifier in there so mildew is not a problem . I only use the tumble dryer for towels as any other way of drying makes them stiff.

Comment

Clover, I think a dehumidifier is the perfect solution to drying clothes indoors. We run one in the caravan when we're not using it and it keeps all the damp at bay.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I have an unheated airer but hardly use it. I mainly use it for woollens and trousers. I have a little lobby which is heated so I place it in there. Drying washing indoors, heated or unheated airers can lead to mildew. Both my GD’s have had that problem.
                          What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

I must be the strange one as I use my tumble dryer all the time ,
                            even in the summer when I hang clothes out my towels get tumble dried ,
                            I do have a boiler cupboard that gets very hot so if pushed I could dry a few light things in there .
                            There is plenty of hanging space .
                            But I do love my tumble dryer and it dries quickly .

Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma, I probably use the tumble dryer more than most people (but perhaps not as much as you). I got into the habit when I was working full-time and it was hard to get things out on the line unless the weather is fantastic. I either dry towels in there, or like you put them in when they are line dry.

My new tumble dryer has setting for all sorts of things and I've found the iron dry really does leave something ready for ironing. I'm less sure about cupboard dry and cupboard dry plus - it's either dry enough to put away or it isn't!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                              X