Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping our homes cool

Collapse
X

Keeping our homes cool

Most of us have been suffering from hot homes lately!

There are various pieces of advice around, some conflicting.

Flinging doors and windows wide seems a sensible option. However many advise keeping them all closed, and closing curtains and blinds until the sun is down, blocking out the hot daytime air. You can then open them. It may be sensible, but if you are staying inside all day, being in darkness is not much fun!

I do close the conservatory blinds, all the upstairs curtains and the blind on the landing. It helps. I open the windows too though.

Fans are a good idea. I have also seen the tip to fill a hot water bottle with cold water. I haven't tried it yet, but it makes sense!
    Summer weight duvets or just a top sheet at night are helpful too.

Have you any tips?

“A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

I use a hot water bottle filled with cold water to put my feet on especially when they are hot and swollen , My sister used to do that before she died that's where I got the idea from
    We sleep with a cotton top sheet instead of the duvet ,

We open all the doors and windows wide , our Martin & Clare close everything doors blinds the lot at the back of the house where the sun shines the most , but they do have aircon its lovely

Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

We’ve been sleeping under a large cotton duvet cover, windows shut despite my OH’s best efforts to sabotage my efforts, curtains/blinds closed and tower fans upstairs and downstairs. Last time it was this hot I filled containers with water, froze them then placed them in front of the fans to blow out colder air.
      My Indian friend couldn’t understand why we flung open windows and let all the hot air in!

I must be sounding desperate but the heat plays havoc with my nerve pain and other issues!☀️🙇‍♀️🥵
      xx

Comment

Doors should be closed if your windows are and the curtains closed.
        But will hubby listen,will he hell.
        I swear if he moans one more time about the heat,i'll throttle him.
        Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

That made me laugh out loud Nan2
          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I’m going to try that tomorrow, it makes sense.
            "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr Seuss

Comment

I'm a fresh air fiend and couldn't stand to have doors and windows closed. I have windows open even in the depths of winter when it's freezing!

I open the windows wide, but keep the curtains closed to keep the sun off. The back of our house where our bedroom is is almost due north, so isn't too bad. The south-facing bedroom is where I have my computer - which is why I haven't been on line much today because it was too warm in here.

My best tip is to have a siesta after lunch, during the hottest part of the day. One advantage of retirement.
              "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I draw curtains in the rooms that get the sun. I also have a fan. Just a sheet on the bed. I open French window in the lounge and the kitchen door, it allows what little air there is to pass through.
                What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Since the renovation here, now 13 years ago, we don't get the sun in the house, everything is open, I do close the blinds in the kitchen late in the afternoon and if the sun is low I have a screen in here. It is never really too warm, I have a tower ventilator but hardly ever have to use it.

Comment

Working...
                  X