Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettles, ovens and other appliances

Collapse
X

Kettles, ovens and other appliances

I mentioned on Chat that yesterday OH and I had looked at kettles in three different shops, but hadn't found what we wanted. How hard can it be to find a kettle!!!

Our kettles seem to last about 3 years, even when we take good care to keep them descaled etc. Ok, they're not expensive, but it always seems to take us a while to decide the latest almost-working kettle has had its day. Meanwhile, both DILs have got kettles they have had for years. They're not cherished kettle - they just use them.

The difference is in price! Theirs were much, much more expensive. So I've decided it's worth investing in a better quality kettle, and I'd really like a Dualit to match our toaster. I want a particular model and haven't seen it in the shops so far. John Lewis have it in stock, but it's impossible to tell from the photos online if it's the model I want or not.

Ovens are another matter. There's nothing wrong with our very simple gas oven and separate grill. When we installed it about 20 years ago, I considered electric but thought they were too slow. But modern electric ovens are really clever and fast, and I could have a double oven in the same housing I've got now. But there are drawbacks! If I find one I like that runs off a 13amp supply, all well and good. If it needs a 32 amp supply we would have to run a circuit from the front of the garage, through the hall, utility room and possibly the cloakroom to get to the kitchen. So it becomes a much bigger job. It may never happen, and I'll still be trundling along with my gas oven when the gas supply eventually gets turned off for ever!!!

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Ovens have been a bane for us over the last few years but we finally splashed out on a NEFF hide and slide fan oven , Its been fantastic ,
    Shouldn't Jinx it should I
    We haven't room for a double oven although we would have loved one or a range even .
    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Mine is a double oven.I don't use the big oven very often.
      But its good to know its there.
      Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Originally posted by Nanto2girls View Post
        Mine is a double oven.I don't use the big oven very often.
        But its good to know its there.
        I also have a double oven and I rarely use the big oven. When I had to feed 1000s , ok , 6 but it felt a lot, I could have done with a double oven
        Now there is just the two of us the little top oven is sufficient
        Bring me sunshine in your smile.

Comment

DD2 has a range and double oven. We envy her when we are cooking for a lot of people, but for most of the time our oven is fine.
          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I find the same - mostly my single oven is ok. The grill isn't great though and I do grill rather than fry a lot of things.

Oma - My DIL had a Neff double over and I love how the door slides into the housing rather than sticking out - it makes it much easier and safer to get hot things out.

Mimi - I agree - 6 and feel like 1,000 when you're trying to put a meal together!

I think I'll end up getting the kettle online - but I was trying to use local shops after all the lockdowns.
            "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
            X