Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is your garden growing?

Collapse
X

How is your garden growing?

We're well into spring now and several people have made odd comments about gardening, and some people have been adventurous with raised beds and new planting etc.

What's looking good at the moment?

I noticed today that a huge Skimmia is losing its flowers. It's been beautiful and has a lovely scent, but it looks like confetti around there at the moment. Sadly, I think it may be its swansong - it's got very floppy and Cooper has a habit of jumping right into the middle of it for some strange reason which hasn't helped at all.

One plant that fills me with joy at this time of year is a variegated Pittosporum. I've got two of them. They have the tiniest, almost invisible black flowers but the scent in the evening fills the garden. I love them.

Have you got any favourites doing their 'thing' at the moment?

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

We planted a Penstemon it has purple grape smelling flowers ,
    Its doing well but Storm for some reason keeps stepping on it so when he is here I have to put something in front of it to stop him ,
    My sweet pea are doing good we planted them and I cover them each night with fleece
    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I am enjoying the treelike plant called The Bride and a lovely Pieris. Unfortunately the Hydrageas have been nipped by the frost. I have bought 3 tomato plants and have planted Cosmos and Nasturtiums some in pots and some in the border.
      What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

We have 2 azaleas in full flower. Unfortunately azaleas don't flower for long.
        Our lilacs are a late flowering variety, but they are in bud.
        Blossom is out on the plum and apple trees.
        The sweetpeas are doing well,but not planted out yet.
        We take them out of the greenhouse every morning and put them back in at night.
        Hubby is doing a few alterations in the garden,just where the sweetpeas will be going,so they will have to wait a few more days.
        Forgot to say the lamp that hubby recyled/upcycled is in place and all wired up.
        A few of the neighbours have commented on how nice it looks lit up at night.
        Oh,and the bench and table on the patio are getting a makeover.
        Hubby bought me a water feature for my birthday and i think that is his next job.
        The wiring is all in place though.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Nanto2girls; 26-04-2021, 06:35 AM.
        Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

It's lovely to hear what's doing well. The cold nights are a problem for a lot of plants. I've been covering our banana plants up every night if frost is forecast.

I've potted on some tomato seedlings today, but put them back in the heated propagator. I leave them covered until the sun gets on the greenhouse about 10 o'clock, then take the lid off so they've still got bottom warmth. At this rate they're going to be indoors until June - I usually put them out about the 3rd week in May.

Plant - our hydrangeas have been caught by the frost as well. The Bride sounds lovely. Is it a Pearl Bush (I think the proper name is something like Exachorda.)

Nanto - I agree. Azaleas don't flower for long enough, but they are fantastic when they are in full flower. The lamp looks amazing! We've got a bench exactly like yours and OH keeps saying he'll do it up. It's actually very comfortable, otherwise I might be suggesting a new one. Our small table is in front of two chairs that are similar to the bench and they all need some TLC as well. A couple of years ago OH made a new table for the bench out of a solid lump of oak. It's weathering nicely, and Eva has adopted it as her sunbathing spot!

Oma - perhaps Storm just likes the smell of them as well. They are lovely!

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Daisy,we have another bench at the side of the shed.
            We get a lot of sun on the shed,and even if its nippy we can sit there when the sun is out.
            Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

The blossom on the front garden tree is over, to be replaced by the lovely red leaves. The apple blossom in the back garden is starting .
              The lilac is almost out and there is quite a bit of colour in the borders. I fear my beloved Clematis Montana may not flower though! I think the frost got the blooms. It is usually opening by now.
              “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Nanto - how lovely to have a sheltered corner like that. I'm hoping when the greenhouse goes that will become our sunny spot to relax in.

Gem - it's sad when a favourite plant or tree loses its blossom because of frost or wind. But, perhaps your Montana is just late, held back by the frost. Our next door neighbour's was all buds on Friday, but I noticed this morning one or two are now opening. It grows along a south-facing wall and is magnificent.

Our apple blossom is just starting - it's one of my favourites. I'd grow apple trees just for the blossom, although I do like to see the apples forming as well.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Daisy, yes that is it's name, I have it in a very large pot.

Comment

Plant - I don't know about you, but I am already having to keep watering even the largest pots, it's so dry!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I have removed the tulip and hyacinth bulbs from the pots, I need to find something to replace them.

Comment

It's one of those in-between times, isn't it, Plant. A bit early for summer bedding type of things, but all but the late tulips are over. I'm pleased my dwarf wallflowers in the tomato tubs are still doing well - they're a nice splash of colour along with some pansies.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I have done my hanging baskets but put them a coat on for the nights.

Comment

Aww, Lizzie - I'm sure they appreciate being tucked in all nice and cosy at night.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I think they do Daisy!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X