Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Clothes

Collapse
X

Old Clothes

I was chatting to a friend today at an annual Christmas lunch we go to. Last year some people turned up looking, shall we say, very casual indeed, and this year we were asked to basically smarten up a bit. It is an event I always make an effort for and OH always wears a suit, shirt and tie. The friend and I were saying people had made an effort this time, and I commented I had dug deep into my wardrobe for the black trousers and lacy top I was wearing. My friend was wearing a very attractive dark green dress, and commented that it was so old, she had got it from Etam.

This lead to us discussing just how old the oldest item of clothing in our wardrobes actually was.

My ace "oldie" is a full length evening dress which I clearly remember getting from the Littlewoods catalogue when DS1 (who is now 51) was a baby.

How old are the senior clothes in your wardrobes, and do you still wear them?
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

I have several items that are quite old ,
    Two lightweight Jackets I’ve had for well over 25 years , they come out every spring ,
    I also have a Black crombie coat I’ve had about the same length of time .
    I have a few Velvet tops I’ve had about 10 years I love them and just can not part with them I still wear them on occasions .
    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I have a leather skirt, must be 40+ years old, plus the aran jumpers etc I have knitted over the years, a trench coat, that is well over 30 years old, oh and blouses and blazers I have made over the years!!! Vintage!

Comment

I have to think about this one.
        “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I have a few”vintage “ items that I “ll never wear again but can’t bring myself to get rid of for sentimental reasons. I know this is daft for once they have gone I’d probably not miss them or even give them a second thought!

Comment

Clover, I'm the same. Can't bring myself to get rid of some things, but know I'd never miss them if I did have a clear out.
            "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I have told myself that I am going to have a clear out of some clothes in the New Year, well I have told myself that’s the first step!
              What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Same here Plant!
                “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I sorted out my t-shirt drawer today! I found two t-shirts I'd completely forgotten about - both perfectly ok to wear, they'd just ended up at the bottom of the drawer. Quite a pile of decent ones for the charity shop and a few for the textile bin. At least there's a bit of room in there now.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

We had a good sort out of old clothes before we moved and just a week ago we had another 'binge ' of general sort out .
                    Any clothes that I have been clinging on to that in the mistaken belief that I will be a size 10 again with a waist have been donated to charity along with some Christmas decorations we no longer want and several bits and bobs.

My oldest item of clothing is a purple fleece that I now wear in the garden.
                    DD got it for me when she worked in a shop that was called Outdoor Venture. ( Shop no longer exists) This was her first job after leaving school. She is 41 now !
                    Bring me sunshine in your smile.

Comment

Mimi, a friend wisely pointed out to me that there was no point in keeping that size 10 sparkly jacket (or whatever) because even if you could get into it agin (hugely unlikely in my case!) it would be so out of fashion you wouldn't want to wear it anyway! So you've done well - but that purple fleece is definitely a keeper.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Daisy, size ten wow. I think I was a size 12 once, not for long.
                        What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Plant, I think Size 10 was an occasional accident of inaccurate sizing of clothes rather than a reflection of my waistline!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                          X