Wild Swimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Swimming

I love swimming in the sea in nice warm climates like the Mediterranean or the Caribbean, but sometimes think it would be wonderful to brave one of our local beaches for a swim. There's also something quite exciting about swimming in a river. But we hear so much about pollution and there's been a lot of criticism of water quality in the media just lately.

So I had a look at the Environment Agency's website. They are designating 27 new bathing sites, 16 of them in rivers.

It's probably a mad idea, but memories of swimming in open water as a child might tempt me - one day!
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

I used to swim in the Thames at a bathing station, we couldn’t afford the baths. I learnt to swim in the river mole. Never been a sea swimmer.
    What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

I don't like water. I have been in the sea and swimming baths,but don't really like it.
      Never had a swim in a river.
      Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Nanto, I've never swum in rivers in this country, but have in France. We used to swim in flooded marl pits when I was a child - we didn't know how dangerous it could be!

My mother hated the water, too, and never learned to swim. She was horrified when she realised I loved it.
        "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I heard this on the news earlier Daisy.

Like you sea swimming in a warm sea is my ideal. I like the idea of wild swimming too but.it would be too cold for me .
          My DDs do it but I doubt I will ever be brave enough!
          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I wouldn’t venture any deeper than my ankles , even then I’m not comfortable and panic a bit ,
            Swimming and Water of any kind are not for me .
            Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Some people just aren't comfortable in water Nan2 and Oma.

Nowadays it is the only place I feel like a whole, able person! I wish I could move on land as I can in water.
              “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gem, I love being in the water, too. I really ought to go swimming regularly - or join an aqua class like yours.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                X