Memories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memories

Came across this on FB someone had put this photo on from the winter of 1960 it’s in the square I was born ,
    The grocery man long before Sainsburys home delivery,
    The lady at the back i recognise as Mrs Padget she lived next door to us
    so nice to see and bring back memories , 😁
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Oma, what a lovely photo to have. It must have brought back lots of childhood memories for you. Life was very different then, wasn't it.
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

It really was wasn’t it Daisy , a more simple time 😁

Comment

Aww how lovely Oma. There is a Born and Bred in York FB page with some lovely old photos. I keep hoping one day I may see one of mum or dad many years ago.

I did see one of DD1 at 6th form on there. She's 48 now so taken some time ago!
        β€œA grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I look too Gem hoping to get a glimpse of my Dad 😊

Comment

How lovely would that be Oma
            β€œA grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Oma, how things have changed in the relatively short time. My mother shopped every day in the high street, no fridges then.
              What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Plant, I don't think our parents' generation would believe how different everything is today. No washing machines, no fridges, no phones, very few televisions, most people didn't have a car, no central heating, many families didn't have a bathroom, certainly no double glazing, no fitted kitchens, but we did have coal holes! I'm sure there are other things we didn't have as well.
                "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

and often 2 or 3 babies in nappies, no disposables, washing machines or dryers!

Comment

GS can’t believe when I tell him I remember getting our first fridge and not knowing what we could put in it apart from Milk and Butter. 😁
                    Then when I describe washing in a big Gas boiler with the gas ring under and using a Mangle (yes I had one of those ) 🀣 he goes into hysterics , he said it must have been like the victorians .

Ice on the insides of windows in the winter etc .
                    When you think about it it wasn’t that long ago in the grand scheme of things was it ,
                    Our generation have seen a lot of changes .

Comment

When we were first married I had a washing machine with an electric mangle! How posh was that in 1967.

My parents had no refrigeration in the shop, and I remember keeping cheese and sides of bacon covered with cheese cloth on a marble slab in an area off the shop, under the stairs. Housewives relied on their noses and eyes to tell if something was fit to eat or not.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

True if it looked or smelled bad then it was , no use by dates in them days 😁

Comment

My mum (1928 - 2023) often commented at the amazing changes and developments in her lifetime, and remarked how her mum, who died in the early 70's would be astounded if she could see the changes since she died.

Comment

I agree Oma, there certainly have been a lot of changes in our time, mine especially being a bit older than you.

Jean, it must have been difficult in a shop to keep things cool in the hot weather
                            What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Plantm yes it was, but we managed somehow. We only sold steralised milk so that wasn't a problem and butter and margarine went on the marble shelf as well.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                              X