Dilemma!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma!

I have posted on the Travel section about being undecided where to take a holiday this summer so I wont repeat myself!
    The dilemma is that we had more or less decided on a week in Malta in July. DD2's birthday is during the week but she reassures me I will be missing no big family party, nor does she need us to babysit.

However, I realised that the local carnival will be the Saturday we are away. This is the main fundraising event of the year of the library Friends group of which I am Secretary. I am younger than the majority of the committee and they seem to rely on me a lot. OH also comes along at the beginning and end of the day to help put up and take down the gazebo. I just don't know how they will manage without us.

OH says they will and DD2 says they will have to learn to! She had a similar dilemma when she eventually stepped down as chair at GS's school.
    DD points out that I am giving them plenty of notice, not bowing out at the last minute. We have a meeting on March 22nd so if we do book the holiday I can tell them then.
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Gem, think of yourself, as your DD2 says, they will have to cope.

Comment

I always say they will cope , my DD wouldn’t take time off work if she was unwell incase the team needed her,
      I always said if you were taken into Hospital they would have to get on with it wouldn’t they.

Im sure as your letting them know well in advance they will find someone, even put it in writing if you think they are not listening .
      Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Gem, no one is indispensable! I'm sure the other committee members have family /friends who they can call upon to help. Give them plenty of warning and make sure your absence is noted in the minutes of the meeting.
        Go and enjoy yourselves in Malta without a second thought! I would!
        Believe you can and you're halfway there.
        Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

Gem, they will cope,they will have to.
          Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

No question, you will go on holiday and they will manage.
            What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I forgot to mention that is the only week we can go, mainly due to golf commitments.
              “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gem, just coming to this thread - for us it's a familiar dilemma. OH's rather than mine, I admit. There have been times when "the cause" whatever it was, has taken precedence, but mostly I've taken the view that family comes first, and given that this is the only week S can go away, I think you have to get that week booked. Is there anything at all you can do in advance that would help the Friends of the Library a little? It would make you feel better, and I'm sure they'd be very appreciative. If not, as others have said, you have given them plenty of notice. xx
                "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

We have booked the holiday!

Daisy, yes once we decide what our stall will be (last year it was tombola) then I will help as much as I can in the run up, but will not be there on the day. We travel on the Tuesday and the carnival is that following Saturday.

Comment

Gem, so glad you've booked your holiday. xx
                    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Well done Gemini
                      What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Working...
                      X