Which era are we living in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which era are we living in?

Watching Bargain Hunt this lunch time I was telling OH when the Edwardian era was (1901 to 1910)
    It then got us thinking. We have had Elizabethan, Georgian, Victorian, Edwardian. What is a reign under Charles called? We did not know so I looked it up.

The first King Charles to take the throne reigned for 24 years, between 1625 and 1649, and his reign was recorded in the history books as the Caroline era.
    When King Charles II came along eleven years later (1660 - 1685), his reign took inspiration from the latin form for Charles and was known as the Carolean era.

I don't think it is known whether our King will choose one of those or a different one.

“A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Good Question Gem ,
    I never thought about it but now I’m intrigued to know.😁
    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I can remember when the king became king it was said it will be the Carolean era.
      Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Interesting thought, Gem.

I hadn't thought about it, but if Elizabeth I was the Elizabethan era, and so was Elizabeth II's reign, then it makes sense for it to be the Carolean era.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

How is it pronounced?
          Car olean or Caro lean ?

Comment

I presumed the second, but it could be either .
            “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Couldn’t it be Charlion?

Comment

Originally posted by Oma View Post
                How is it pronounced?
                Car olean or Caro lean ?
                Oma, slightly off topic, but I remember our Latin teacher at school saying there's no right or wrong pronunciation to Latin, since there was no way of recording speech except in writing.

Clover, or the Charlesian Era? Nothing really trips of the tongue does it.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

That’s a good point Daisy,

Comment

I presume it from the Latin for Charles....Carolus, So the Carolean era. I think it's pronounced Car-o (as in dog)- lee-an, but could be wrong!
                    Believe you can and you're halfway there.
                    Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

WG it’s a one of those words I’m not sure how to pronounce, I think weneed to hear an expert say it 😁

Comment

WeeGranny, I'd pronounce it the same way.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                        X