X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Men and their toys !

My head is spinning.

Bear with me

Now OH has a CD / radio player but the sound quality is poor so he thought he'd buy another one that has a better sound system. So far so good.
    But the he thought, why not only have a CD/ radio player, but one that is capable of playing MP3 CD 's . Then he would have able to listen to his Journey into Space that's on MP3 CD format
    OK I thought why not But then .......
    He announced that if he were to buy a record player ( we still have a far amount of old vinyl LPs ) that has a CD player, with MP3 requirerequirement., and radio how good would that be ?
    Well he found one . But where will you put it I asked. On the little table in the sitting room he replied.
    The record player arrived, much bigger than I expected and to be honest it looked dreadful sitting on the table. The table although small in size, it was far too tall for the record player, and what with it looking more like a piece with furniture itself it needed to sit on some much lower.
    Ah, I know he said what we need is a coffee table and dam me , he found one .
    I managed to sell the now wanted and unloved little table on Facebook.

Today the new table arrived and obviously it was flat packed so there was the kerfuffle of putting ot together ( how we have managed to stay married for 50 years God only knows)
    I have to admit the table looks really nice, even with the record player on it .

Now, how to use the stupid thing. It taken a combination of
    one magnifying glass, to read small print in manual, to see dials inside record player and on control panel
    One torch to see the black writing on black background on the aforementioned control panel ( fantastic design feature I think not !)
    One chair for me to sit on as I can't sit on floor , knee or bend to reach this record player, which by now I was seriously considering throwing out of the window.
    One knife to prise the back off the remote control so that batteries could be inserted
    Now came to the big deal of turning it on and playing a CD
    The only way OH could put the CD into the stupid thing was to kneel on the floor whilst peering at the dials. Now this was OK until he decided that he needed to stand up but fear not , don't forget I was still sitting on a chair He was able to cling to it whilst heaving himself into an upright position

I wouldn't mind but we have Alexa sitting on the sideboard ready to play almost any piece of music you can think of

After all this do you know what OH said

"You know what would look good , if we got rid of our old coffee table and brought another one like the new one and they would match "

New coffee table arrives sometime in the next few days
    ​​​​​​​
    Last edited by Mimi; 06-02-2024, 11:25 PM.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile.

I know I shouldn't but I am really laughing here Mimi!!!!!
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Mimi, I laughed as well, but rather ruefully! This exact scenario could easily have played out in our house as well, except that there's no way my OH would have got rid of the unloved table - it would have been repurposed elsewhere.

We have always had a hotch potch of audio equipment, but about 5 years ago OH's brother took pity (ahem) on our musical mishmash and gave us a 'system' which could play records, CDs and tapes + radio. What a nightmare! Brother set it up (he's a retired tv engineer), and I couldn't get the darned thing to work. OH never used it! I dusted it from time to time. This Christmas my DS1 took pity on my musical plight and gave me a record player with BluTooth and connectivity to my computer if desired. I set it up, very easy, good sound quality and hurray I can play all my lovely old vinyl. The unloved system? Oh OH has carefully packed it up in a plastic crate and it's waiting to go up into the loft.
      "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

My OH bought me some wireless headphones for Christmas. Seemingly so I could listen to TV if I wake early. Our bedroom is directly above the living room and I had been using subtitles if she is asleep!

Our TV has blutooth but can we pair them up? No. Many hours have been wasted trying.

“A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

🤣🤣🤣🤣I’m crying laughing as this is exactly what happens in our house 🤣🤣🤣

I sympathise with the getting down not being able to get up unless you haul yourself of the floor by the furniture ,
          Many a Bum shuffle to the sofa been done by me 🤣

Funnily enough I did the same with a magnifying glass this morning , I bought two individual jars of clotted cream like what you get on a cream tea , I needed to Check the use by date and it was sort of silver writing on a black background.
          Even with my reading glasses for the life of me I couldn’t see ,
          After standing by the window with glasses on and magnifier I finally managed.

Why use that colour combination and have the print so small.😳

As for working out stuff B is brilliant I on the other hand no matter how many times I’m shown how to use it I forget and I’m useless.
          I can barely turn the TV over 🤣

By the way after I found the date B said why didn’t you just take a picture on your phone and magnify it 😳Duh Im not that bright to think of that 😱
          Last edited by Oma; 07-02-2024, 10:55 AM.
          Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

And I thought I was the only one.
            What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Oma, it's my pet hate! Why do firms print important information so small and with no contrast! White on pale blue is my particular frustration - especially on the huge eye-care poster in the hospital eye department where OH goes.
              "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
              X