Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those were more simple innocent days Daisy,
    Can you imagine sending your children with a note for cigarettes these days ๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜

My uncles shop was crammed , I often wondered how he knew where everything was but he did , I loved his scales and the old till it had a bell that rang when you turned the handle , I wonder what happened to them he left them in the shop when he sold it .
    Can you imagine health and safety allowing paraffin to be stored like that now , they would have a fit ๐Ÿ˜
    Last edited by Oma; 21-01-2024, 09:36 AM.
    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma, it's hard to imagine sending children to the shop for anything these days unless they're nearly old enough to vote!

Your Uncle's shop sounds fascinating. We had scales for loose sweets, and bigger ones for weighed goods - bacon, cheese and all sorts of other things. Cheese was cut on a board with a wire cutter. Bacon was sliced to the thickness the customer wanted - on an electric bacon cutter with no guard!

One of the items in our shop was Indian Brandy! Again, children would be sent to buy it (although there's very little alcohol in it). Compare that with relatively recently I was in Tesco and wanted Vanilla Essence (not vanilla flavouring) and the girl on the checkout must have been under 18, and she had to get a 'grown-up' to come an approve the transaction. We must have waited 15 minutes for the grown-up who actually looked younger than the girl on the checkout! Thinking about it, it must have been when there were proper checkouts!!!

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
      X