I'm feeling old!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm feeling old!

The Oxford University Press has just published its Word of the Year - a word they say has been on everyone's lips during 2023. I have to say, I had never heard it, or any of the other short-listed words.

Apparently it's used extensively by Generation Z (who I believe are people born after 1993) and is used frequently on TikTok and other social media.

The word is "rizz".

My spellcheck obviously hasn't heard of it either as it's got a squiggly red line under it.

Someone used the word 'flex' to me recently - meaning 'boast' - I'd never heard that either.

I'm beginning to feel younger generations speak a different language these days.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

I haven’t hear either of these words either but then I am old.
    What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Never heard of rizz, or flex used in that way .
      Yup, officially old too!
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Me too , I will ask GS when I see him see if his friends use it ,
        Wonder what Rizz means ?????
        Just looked Rizz up ,
        According to Oxford Languages it means the Ability to attract a romantic or sexual partner ,
        In other words chat someone up 🙄

Flex is used to boast about achievements, possessions , skills etc
        In other words Brag 😳

Why can’t they just use them words 🤣🤣
        Last edited by Oma; 04-12-2023, 01:54 PM.
        Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Rizz is new to me. Never heard the word flex used in this way.
          Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Short for charisma. I’ve heard it - but no way would I use it - or apply it to myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Oma View Post
              Me too , I will ask GS when I see him see if his friends use it ,
              Wonder what Rizz means ?????
              Just looked Rizz up ,
              According to Oxford Languages it means the Ability to attract a romantic or sexual partner ,
              In other words chat someone up 🙄

Flex is used to boast about achievements, possessions , skills etc
              In other words Brag 😳

Why can’t they just use them words 🤣🤣
              Ha ha. That’s what our parents said to us we said that Adam or Cliff was ‘cool’. Or when we said what we ‘were into’.

Comment

Sum1, and before that the cool people/things were 'hip', weren't they, and the opposite was 'square'.

In those days, they didn't merit any sort of recognition by august learned bodies though.
                "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Funnily enough I heard someone talking about “rizz” on the radio this morning otherwise I wouldn’t have had a clue.

Comment

It’s new to me too! I shall include it when I next have a conversation with my two eldest GCs. I have already been promoted to ‘Gma’ pronounced Geema.😆 Still, I suppose it’s better than being called the ‘rents’ (supposedly short for parents, but better than the Aged Ps.) which is how my children have referred to us occasionally.
                    Groovy baby…
                    Last edited by Grauntie Mag; 04-12-2023, 07:29 PM.
                    Women are like tea bags; you never know how strong they are until they are put in hot water.
                    Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Clover, I'm impressed. I've never hear the word spoken.

Grauntie, I can't imagine using the word Rizz in a conversation with my 20 and almost 19 year olds. I think they'd just laugh at me!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I’ll find a way Daisy, and let you know what happens. 😆
                        Women are like tea bags; you never know how strong they are until they are put in hot water.
                        Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

Report back Grauntie
                          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Grauntie, definitely report back, please - word for word. x

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I am fascinated, my GC are in the next generation so I probably will not hear it from them.
                              What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Working...
                              X