Oh how I would love a bath!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh how I would love a bath!!!!!

I love baths. I love to relax and take my time in the warm water with something scented. I have a bath pillow and often read or scroll on my phone.
    When I had the bad sciatica earlier this year baths were my lifesaver The heat helped the pain and I was in too much pain to stand long enough for a shower.

No baths until an operation scar is healed which is about 3 weeks.
    However, just before my op I was shocked to hear from my friend that she has not been able to have a bath since her knee replacement in 2019
    This is because, like me she turns over onto her knees to get out of the bath and now she can't do this. I couldn't bear the think this op meant no more baths for me. I asked another friend who has had 2 knee replacements . Her answer was they only have walk in shower, so she hasn't tried.

My OH would not be too bothered if she couldn't have a bath again, but for me they are important.
    This morning I would really love one -feeling sorry for myself!

I am determined not to be like my friend, there must be way for me to get out of the bath further down the recovery line. I will do my best to make it happen. OH has even looked into bath seats etc, if all else fails.

“A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Gem, I don't know if your new knee will allow kneeling on it. That is what I understand anyway. Just read it is OK after 6 months but could be uncomfortable. I can't kneel on my bad knee, at all.

Comment

That's it Lizzie, I suppose I have to accept it as a possiblity but it's very saddening to me.
      I know we can gradually lose many of the pleasures in life as we grow older but I wasn't ready to lose this one yet
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I inherited a bath aid from Sil’s mother, it is a seat which goes up and down and the back goes down a bit but it doesn’t allow you to get deep enough in the water so I don’t use it. I am sure there will be a bath aid suitable for you if you cannot kneel.
        What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Gem, it would be so sad if you can't manage a bath when your knee has healed. If kneeling on your new knee isn't an option I'm sure an occupational therapist would be able to recommend alternatives. With the right sort of grab handles in the right places you could probably get out without kneeling. It's certainly worth looking into.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

As you know we only have a wet room as B was unable even with bath aids to get in and out of the bath ,
            We also had the bath seat that lowered down but they as Plant says they don’t go down low enough and you can’t lay back properly
            I have always preferred showers even when we had a bath but there are times when it would be nice to lay in a hot bath to easy aches and pains ,
            I’m sure you will adapt and your OT can give some advise xx
            Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Agree Gem. There’s nothing like a long soak and a bit of peace. Puss comes join me too - sits on the side of the bath.

Comment

Sum, that made me smile. When we first adopted Eva she jumped into the bath with our two GSs! She's quite large, took up a lot of space and splashed more than they did.

I'm sure y our puss has more decorum.
                "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy View Post
                  Sum, that made me smile. When we first adopted Eva she jumped into the bath with our two GSs! She's quite large, took up a lot of space and splashed more than they did.

I'm sure y our puss has more decorum.
                  Oh she has!
                  Washes her paws and purrs.
                  And then jumps to the side of the wash hand basin and asks for the tap to be turned on for a drink.

Comment

Sum1
                    My DD cat who is sadly no longer with us liked to sleep either in the bath or curled up in the hand basin despite having lovely soft beds and chairs to sleep on 😁
                    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Sum1, aww, she sounds such a character. I suppose you have to run the tap at just the right volume for her or else she won't drink from it!

Oma, I thought cats always chose the most comfortable spot, but perhaps he/she liked the stability of a harder surface.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Daisy, cats are truly weird and will often abandon all comfy spots for the hardest and most uncomfortable surface

Comment

Haha, Gem. While dogs will choose (a) your lap, (b) the sofa, ( c) your bed or (d) all of the above in rotation!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Today I had a bath! 9 weeks and 5 days since my operation.
                            I am so happy

I was desperate for one so I decided to go for it.
                            OH was here. We found a foam cushion (memory foam type). I had my bath, turned over to rest my weight on my good knee, then put cushion into bath rested operated knee briefly on that, stood up holding sides of bath then out! OH was there but I did it alone.
                            Another milestone.

Comment

What a triumph. I’m sure that’s aided healing - of the knee and the spirits.

Comment

Working...
                              X