Little plastic bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Little plastic bags

We have many of those little slim resealable plastic bags which come with every lateral flow test. As my mum was in a care home for 3 years I did a lot of tests, OH too .

The bags are to put all the used test equipment in before throwing it away. The only time I used the bags were when I had a positive result. It seemed terrible to keep throwing plastic bags away with all the other plastic kit . Some of them were short but the majority were twice as long and those are the ones I am talking about.

Small slim bags are pretty useless really but I knew I would find a use for them one day.

I filled one with Earl Grey tea bags for my Premier Inn stay. It easily holds enough for a couple of nights away .
    Yesterday I filled several with chives from the garden. I noticed the plant was starting to die down again and these bags are perfect for holding enough chives to go on the salmon. They are in the freezer now.
    I also think they would hold a single portion of apple sauce! I make and freeze apple sauce from our apples. I make bigger portions for when we have guests, but mostly single portions are needed as OH doesn't like it.

I will keep thinking of other uses. I'm sure there must be many more!
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

We save bags as well.Like you,we eventually find a use for them.
    Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

I actually bought those type of bags,
      They came in a pack of different sizes from very small that I use to put my tablets in if I’m going out for tea then I can still take them on time and I’m not raking around my bag for loose tablets 😁
      to larger slim ones that are ideal for herbs and green beans .
      I like Sage and onion stuffing so I make a batch put some in the taller bags flatten it and press out squares with the back of the knife , freeze it then I can open it up take a couple of portions out and seal it back up .

I do use my Vaccume machine a lot but for smaller stuff it’s a waste of bags so these are ideal .

I also keep the paper bags you often get from Costa, Greggs etc,
      I use them when my paper shredder is full , empty it into the paper bags then into the recycle , much easier .
      Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma, you are so full of great ideas.
        What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

I use a variety of small plastic bags for jewellery when I go away - tiny ones for earrings, larger ones for other items. I keep them all in an old make-up bag. I also kept some of those sealable bags airports gave you for taking liquids on to an airplane. I keep them in a pocket of a suitcase for anything wet like buff puffs/water lilies or face flannels.

I save brown paper bags from the veg shop to use for potatoes, onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots which seem to keep better in paper than plastic.

My current recycling disaster however, is blister packs. We seem to accumulate a lot and our Greener Village recycling place was accepting them. They were taken to a Superdrug shop which has a pharmacy counter. Now just as my box is full to overflowing, Superdrug have stopped providing the service. Any ideas, anybody?
          "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Oh they are a nightmare to get rid of Daisy ,
            We have lots the amount of drugs B is on , there is no where near us recycles them so unfortunately they have to go in general waste ,
            Such a waste in my oppinion, what was wrong with bottles at least those could be recycled .
            Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

We recycle everything, even drink cans at the moment which is causing problems and hold ups in the supermarkets! All sizes plastic bottles have a deposit on, etc etc

Comment

Lizzie, I remember reading about deposits o bottles in the Netherlands. It seems a good idea to me!

Oma, I agree about blister packs. Even the supplements OH takes for his eyes come in blister packs, and surely there's no need. I think the decline in bottles started when basics like Paracetamol stopped being sold in bottles. We're killing our planet in so many ways, yet nobody seems to see the bigger picture.
                "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I have blister packs too, only my VitD comes in a bottle and that is plastic
                  What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Lots of blister packs in our house too
                    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Working...
                    X