Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalogues

Yesterday I was talking to GS about how we shopped before the internet ,
    I was explaining catalogues and how they were published twice a year , we would look forward to the Spring & Summer then the Autumn & Winter one’s coming out ,
    We we’re also discussing how they delivered ,
    I said some had their own vans but a lot came with The White Arrow van ,
    There was another Van but for the life of me I can’t remember it’s name , can anyone remember what it was called.
    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Oma, I can remember my mother buying from the Grattan catalogue, but it was through someone she know who, I suppose, was some kind of agent. I can remember people talking about running catalogues.

I can still remember the summer I left school and she bought me several dresses - I loved all of them and felt so grown-up!
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

My father called the catalogues our bible!!! My grandfather was an agent, I think for Grattan, in fact a neighbour of ours was an agent long before that, maybe Kays??? My sister and myself would look through them for hours choosing what we could never afford!

Comment

I had a little woods catalogue for many years , my sister had Kays ,

Comment

My friend used to run several catalogues. Every time she started a new one she got a free gift.
          Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Mail order catalogues were the only way to buy and have things delivered weren't they?

My mum wasn't a fan of them so we didn't have them growing up. I had one ( I can't remember which) for a couple of years when the DDs were little and got some clothes for them .

My DD2 as a child ADORED the Argos catalogue! A new one brought much excitement and she pored over the toys and jewellery section, reading all the prices out to us
            “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gem, I remember spending ages looking at the Gratton catalogue too. Simple pleasures, eh!
              "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Another thing was it usually stated” allow up to 28 days for delivery”. A strange concept for today’s youngsters when it’s possible in some cases to have same or next day delivery.

Comment

That’s true Clover and sometimes by the time they came you had forgotten you had ordered them 😁

Comment

My favourite clothing book atm is Cotswold Collections
                    What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Originally posted by Clover View Post
                      Another thing was it usually stated” allow up to 28 days for delivery”. A strange concept for today’s youngsters when it’s possible in some cases to have same or next day delivery.
                      Clover - I'd completely forgotten about that! It's hard for us to imagine that nowadays, let alone the youngsters. Where my DS1 lives they can get 1 or 2 hour Amazon deliveries!!!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                      X