Old Fashioned Sayings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Fashioned Sayings

I was half-heartedly ironing something today, when a little voice popped into my head saying rather sternly "if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well" - something I used to hear a lot when I was a child. But I haven't heard anyone saying that for years.

"Children should be seen and not heard" is another one that you don't hear these days (thank goodness!)

I'm sure there must be other sayings we all used to hear as children but nobody says now.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

You reap what you sow was a one my father used to say,
    I still say don't put of till tomorrow what can be done today.
    Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Don't put all your eggs in one basket, a favourite of my fathers and I still think the same!

Comment

Ships that pass in the night and pigs don’t fly are two I haven’t heard for ages.
        What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

All good sayings!

My auntie used to say This won’t do but this and better might.
          "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Comment

My nanna used to say ' Money's made round to go round' which we thought was nice.
              “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

We still say some of these sayings.
                Theres a couple there i haven't heard before.
                Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Nanto - I wonder if some sayings are regional? I can remember sayings from when I was a child which I only ever heard in dialect and as dialects die out so do the sayings.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                  X