Education in crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education in crisis

It’s an indictment of the times that I would not now encourage anyone to take up teaching in our schools. And that’s after a lifetime spent teaching from infants and juniors to post graduate students.

And it’s not just me. Teachers are leaving in droves, Heads are finding impossible to recruit and are resorting to having classes covered by TAs, doubling up, splitting groups, increasing class sizes and even having to have a four day week.

Why? It’s not just one reason. But, firstly: dreadful salaries after four years of study and massive student loans to repay. And little prospect of promotion as budgets are cut year on year.

Secondly, pupil behaviour. Aggravated by lockdown, but children with addition needs are all lumped in together in mainstream classes. So, a child with anxiety, a child with ADHD, a child with a severe learning disability, a child with hearing loss and two or three with significant behavioural difficulties are all together in a class of 32 and upwards. And often there is no money for support as LAs who are themselves strapped for cash do their best to delay assessment.

Thirdly, huge numbers of schools are dangerous places to work, with asbestos not being removed, ceilings falling in, disgusting toilets and little or no playground space.

Fourthly, and in some ways, most importantly, the erosion of professional autonomy as a consequence of a succession of Education Ministers imposing their whims on the curriculum and the imposition of an Ofsted regime which is beyond unfit for purpose.

Fifthly, the impossible workload, which means that teachers work on average fifty to sixty hours a week. And that includes the weeks when children are on holiday but teachers aren’t.

Sixthly, parental entitlement from a sizeable minority of parents who challenge everything and take out their frustrations on the class or subject teacher.

As you know my DiL is a HT and her stress levels are through the roof. She is taking anti-depressants and copes with a multitude of social problems with her families as well as running the school. Ensuring that there is a ‘body’ in front of every class is a nightmare every day, let alone finding a good, experienced teacher.

Is it any wonder our education system is a mess? It didn’t used to be like this.

How depressing to read this Sum1Ls. I do have 2 GC in school and their mother is a teacher, I wonder how this has affected her and the children.
    What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Sum1, I'm actually frightened for our grand children's futures. It's not only all the issues you've listed, but also the constraints of curricula in the classroom, what appears to be the politicising of content of certain subjects and the mental health of so many children.

I left teaching over 20 years ago, largely because we were being forced into teaching to a very proscribed syllabus which was expected to be delivered in a certain way (to keep students entertained it seemed!) Reality, real life events in the news no longer had any space in this brave new world - at the same time as the business world was changing rapidly. How could I be preparing students for the businesses of the Twenty-first Century if there was no time to observe and study a technological revolution as seismic as the Industrial Revolution must have been in its day.

As for Ofsted, words fail me.

All that was bad enough, but how much worse things have become since then. As Plant says, "how depressing".

But someone, somehow needs to find some solutions for the sake of the generation we seem to be throwing to the wolves.
      "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

My GS2 who is 15 was telling us that the week before last 2 days they spent watching videos and just hanging around as there wasn’t a teacher available to take the classes .
        Of course the children loved that no lessons and doing as they please but they can’t go on like that .

What qualifications are our children going to get with this crisis in education ,
        I worry for my GD she’s only 10 starting comp next year , GS2 will be going on to other things by then but she still has another 5-6 years yet .

The schools built in the 60s and before are falling apart but there is no money to repair or rebuild .
        Mine and Bs old school was pulled down and rebuilt about 10 years ago and we read recently there is already structural problems and a section of the school is off limits , this means classes had to merge to accommodate the overflow .

How does that work I wonder all those extra pupils in each class and I bet the teachers don’t get paid for all the extra work needed.
        Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma, the junior school I went to was built in 1864. Yes it was old-fashioned in the 1950s when I was there - high ceilings, wooden floor boards, outside toilets and some classroom could only be reached by going through another classroom. So, sometime in the 60s it was pulled down and rebuilt. Then it was pulled down and amalgamated with another school, which in turn was also pulled down.

It's bad enough that teachers are being put in front of classes to teach subjects they have little or no expertise in, but having to amalgamate classes or leave the children to watch videos is appalling. Neither of those things have happened to either of my GDs (so far) but I think they are both relatively lucky that their schools are well-staffed and staff turnover is fairly low.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Oma, that heartbreaking, but frankly, no surprise.

Until we as a country are prepared to elect a government that is prepared to fund education, the health service and social care properly, this will be the consequence.
            We will have to pay more taxes but a wise government will tax the wealthy and not the poor.

The few state schools that are coping reasonably well are either the highly selective ones or those in well-off localities where parents greatly subsidise the costs of a decent curriculum in the way of music lessons or extra sport or dance for example.

When you realise that each pupil in English schools costs roughly £7000 pa and the cost of sending a child to a public schools around £50,000 pa it’s not hard to see where the inequalities are. In real terms for state school pupils the cost has been steadily eroded since 2010.

And it will get worse. Teachers are leaving for better paid and stressful jobs and not being replaced.

Comment

Sum1 I agree it really is heart-breaking and disheartening to hear all this.

“A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Working...
              X