The table football saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The table football saga

When we went away for a weekend with a group of friends in September there was a games room in the house. The table football game was very popular with some especially my OH. She had one when she was younger and said she would like one and may look into how much they cost. Then it was forgotten.

I decided to buy her one for Christmas. As it was more than we usually spend on each other I asked my DDs if they would like to contribute. They were happy to, as they never know what to get her.
    I couldn't have it delivered here as it may well have arrived when she was here.
    DD3, home a lot on maternity leave offered to have it delivered there. As they live half an hours drive away I obviously needed it a bit closer for Christmas Day! I asked a friend who lives locally if I could keep it at her house. The simple option of having it delivered to hers was no good as she still works 2 days week and is often at her parents place helping them on other days.

It has been at DD's house for some time. I had to find a time to go over without OH. Her golf days are days I am busy so there hasn't been the chance. Yesterday, a golf day, I didn't go to my mums, and went to see DD and baby, which had the bonus of the chance to collect the table.
    It was much bigger than I expected!
    DD and I are both impractical weaklings (married to stronger more practical people )

DD and I could hardly lift the box. I suggested we 'walk' it the short distance to my car, by turning it on it's end etc. We were unsure it would actually fit in my car and wanted to check before taking it out there . DD didn't know where the tape measure was, so I suggested using something else as a measure. She found a ribbon. We measured the box and DD tied a knot to show the length. We tried it and decided it would just fit into the back of my car, side to side and in front of the baby seat. We had a real struggle and but did it! We were so overjoyed that we had done it that we hugged. Then we laughed to think neighbours must think we had had some fantastic news, so delighted were we

I then needed to get it to our friend's house. My plan to leave it in her a garage if she was out was a no go once I knew how big and heavy it was. It was a work day for her, so she wasn't back when I came home. As it was dark OH didn't see it in the back of my car fortunately. OH was out at the golf club dinner last night so I arranged to go round to our friends house with the box.

I knew that as she will be away at her parents house from Christmas Eve if not earlier I would need to have it from her before then. It is far too big to hide anywhere at home. So I would need to ask a neighbour to have it until Christmas morning. I then decided to ask our neighbours if they would have it from now until Christmas. Luckily our lovely next door neighbours agreed straight away. C, the lovely young man next door came round once OH had gone out and carried it round by himself and will bring it back at Christmas I am very grateful to him. So I stood our friend down from storing it. I will put a bow and tag on it as some point (far too big to wrap)
    So, at last the football table saga has a happy ending!
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

I bet she will be over the moon with it.
    Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

I hope so Nan2. The rest of the family are looking forward to playing it on Boxing Day!
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Oh what a carry on but so worth it 😁
        I can imagine the noise Christmas when everyone is playing , you may well regret it 🤣🤣🤣
        Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Gem, this sounds fairly typical of some of my and OH's mad cap ideas! But what a great present. Where will she be able to use it? Will you be able to put it up and leave it up?

DS2 got one for the GDs (nominally!) and the only place they could put it was where Cooper's bed normally lives. I think they've used it on the patio during the summer, but it's not quite as level as the living room floor! It wasn't as heavy as yours, so moving it wasn't much of a problem.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I think she will mostly play it in the garage Daisy. The legs fold so it can just stand against the wall when not in use .

Comment

Gem, I'm sure you will enjoy it as well.
              "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

My GS1 had one and they used the garage too , after all the car never used the garage so something had too 😁😁😁
                It was ideal when his friends came to play the noise was kept to a minimum 🙄😁
                Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Gem, a good idea for a present, what a carry on to get it home etc!

Comment

Is that table football safely out of sight now Gemini
                    What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Plant it's in next doors garage

Comment

Well to update, this was the biggest waste of money and effort ever .
                        Neither friends nor family seem interested in playing and OH now tells me that when she got it she wondered why I had bought it as she has no one to play it with!
                        ​​​​​​I have suggested we sell it as it wasn't cheap and has been played on a handful of times so pristine.
                        That is the last surprise present I buy for OH

Comment

Oh, Gem, what a shame! You went to soooo much trouble to buy it and keep the surprise for Christmas, and now there it is unloved and unused!I think unless you and S are going to play it together (or against each other!) you might as well sell it and buy something special with the money.

We have a similar problem with a rocking horse! The GCs have outgrown it (it's safe up to the age of 8) and it's sitting on our landing, in everyone's way. OH has put it on eBay, but no interest. It's a genuine old Haddon rocker in need of a beauty treatment, but all the GCs have loved it.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

It sounds lovely Daisy, but as you say they take up a lot of room once children have outgrown them. I bet they could sell it at a local auction!

Comment

Gem, what a shame, friends did the same years ago with a table tennis table, what a carry on they had to surprise the boys, it was never used at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X