A changing world.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A changing world.

312958424_705216243863572_4221207653460545125_n.png There are so many things happening at the moment, including the energy crisis. I have just read that the largest orchid grower in the world, not far from here, is having to stop because of the energy prices. It has been a family business since the 50's, they produce 14 million plants a year and have 200 people working for them. They are not the only ones, a lot of growers can't afford to keep the greenhouses heated.
    Last edited by Lizzie48; 08-11-2022, 04:00 PM.

How sad Lizzie, the high energy prices could take out a lot of growers.
    What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Plant, so many shops etc are having to close here because of the energy prices etc.

Comment

Lizzie
        A lot of small businesses in our region are closing too , the bigger corporate one are able to carry on but family businesses have no chance , it’s very sad to see .
        Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

A lot of places will end up closing because of the energy prices.
          Such a shame to see places that have been going for generations have to give up.
          Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Lizzie, it's going to be a very hard time for the growers, especially through the winter when they must use a huge amount of energy for heating their glasshouses. There are hardly any growers of things like tomatoes and other 'tender' crops in the UK these days. Perhaps we'll all have to go back to eating 'seasonally' but it's sad to see good businesses going under.

Oma, we were only saying the other day that the "capital" village in the New Forest is now almost exclusively cafes, tea shops, bars etc with virtually no shops for everyday things, and even my Sister in Law, who really loves the village and makes a point of visiting every time they come down here, said it was disappointing this summer. It's so hard for small independent shops and other businesses.

I wonder what will happen to all the village/small town high streets when all the shops are boarded up.
            "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

The energy crisis is affecting so many in so many ways
              “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Very worrying and sad to read these posts
                What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

It is sad Plant, I have heard of so many small businesses having to close. Quite a few fresh bakers as well as they can't afford to keep the ovens going.

Comment

Working...
                  X