Getting older

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting older

Reading Wee Grannies comment about the child from school asking if she was the old lady going to listen to them read ,
    This had me thinking ,
    When do we realise we are getting old ?

Last Sunday we had to go to a Chemist to get our COVID boosters ,
    When we got there everyone who was going into the Chemist were at least 70/80ish.

Anyway we walked in and a young man about early 20s bounced up and said , so your here for your booster are you ?

I was quite miffed that he had put us in that category just looking at us ,
    I mean I’m just a slip of a girl 😁 I may just have been going in for some perfume or makeup ,
    I could have happily slapped him , the cheek πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‚ hahaha

B Thought it was hilarious of course he said the look on my face was a picture πŸ™„πŸ˜

Dying my hair dark obviously doesn’t hide the fact I’m a pensioner now ,
    God knows how old I look to children ,
    In my head and heart like many of us I’m a girl still ,

Im not fat just 6ft too small

Oh I know how you feel Oma.
    The first time we asked for a senior discount for something we felt quite affronted that they didn't look surprised or ask for ID

We do feel young inside I think, with a bit more wisdom maybe. Only the aches and pains, glasses, hearing aids etc remind us of our aging bodies.

I remember my mum saying that years ago. She said you feel the same and then wonder why people are offering to help you onto buses, and who that old lady in the mirror is!
    She was right it turns out.
    β€œA grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Gem B said when he asked for a pensioner special at the fish shop nobody questioned him on his age ,
      It feels wrong doesn’t it πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
      Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma, it's funny you should bring this topic of 'being old' up. When we were away in the caravan a couple of weeks ago we visited all three of OH's siblings who live in the UK. I had a real feeling that the two older parts of the family had moved into the stage of needing a bit more care, more help and a different generation from me and OH. His youngest brother is still active and doing things to help their grown up DDs. The others really need support from their adult children in various ways.

It made me think that at some time in the not too distant future will our families start thinking we need help with practical everyday matters.

I do think most people under 30 think most people over 50 are 'old'!!

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I am definitely at the age now that there is no question that I am of the older generation.
          What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Well I think we are all the older generation here Plant, whether we feel it or not!
            As my mum is still alive I am not yet the oldest generation in the family. That will be strange when I am.
            β€œA grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I think sometimes it can be a bit of an advantage looking my age. If I make a fool of myself in public, like dropping my change or going in the β€œout” door I think people think β€œ oh poor old soul””. πŸ˜€ I always assume youngsters will let me in front of them getting off the bus for instance and they usually do. It can sometimes be good to play the β€œold age β€œ card even if you don’t feel it!πŸ˜€

Comment

Clover, I'd never thought about that, except apart from technical gadgets, which are things many of our GCs help us with!

How nice that there are such polite youngsters around as well.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I can remember quite a few years ago, we were in Sheffield shopping.
                  We went to a cafe for dinner,and when we ordered she said is that the pensioners deal.
                  Now when we go there, we just ask for the pensioners rate.
                  Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Although none of us feel we are old enough to qualify, pensioners deals and discounts are one the the few benefits of getting older!

OH and I appreciate the senior bus pass I have to say, especially as we were amongst the first who had to wait until we were 66 to get one!
                    Living 4 miles from town and York parking rates been very high, free buses are a bonus.

Comment

Going the other way,many years ago I taught in a special needs school and was based in the top class of children up to 16/18 years old. We had access to a mini bus several times a term which I used to drive. A popular outing was to the seaside and one particular cafe. Orders were taken and the proprietor always gave the children, but not the adults, a chocolate biscuit. Imagine the reaction when I was given a chocolate biscuit!! Children thought it was hilarious and I didn't know whether to eat the biscuit or point out the mistake. I think I probably ate it!!

It is lovely when youngsters acknowledge the fact that you're an older person and give up their seats/open doors for you. I find it is the older generation who can be rude and not say thank you. I f I hold open a door or move out of the way on the pavement and am not thanked I always say Thank you in a loud voice when they're past. Sometimes you get a response, but not very often. They're the ones that moan about the younger generation having no manners usually.

Last time I booked a Premier Inn I used the Senior citizen discount for the room.
                      Believe you can and you're halfway there.
                      Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

WeeGranny, I would certainly have eaten the chocolate biscuit!

You have reminded me of an incident with students. I was with a group of students on a Business Studies trip, and we were staying at Swansea University. One of the visits to a factory got cancelled at the last minute and I found myself taking a group of 16 year olds to the local swimming pool, flumes and all! One of the lads dared me to go down a flume, and as I splashed inelegantly into the water, one girl remarked "you wouldn't catch my mum doing that"! I was left wondering whether I was foolish or brave!!

Gem, I agree. We've earned our senior perks!

Nanto, it's a bit of a surprise the first time you're offered a senior discount, isn't it!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Good for you Daisy. If that was the swimming pool in Swansea I used to go there but would never go down that flume!

Comment

Clover, yes it was! I only did it once, but it was enough to get the street cred!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Daisy, one of the men from out aqua, the oldest actually, almost 85 years old, he goes down a massive flume a few times whilst we are there, he asked me one day if I was going to go????? I just said "no" not today!

Comment

Working...
                              X