Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Varifocals

Do any of you have Varifocal glasses?

I tried them a few years ago. I didn't really get on with them and the next time I needed glasses I chose separate distance and reading glasses. I actually rarely use reading glasses now, but they are there when I need them.

I am now strongly considering varifocals when I next need new glasses. I spend a lot of time taking my glasses off in shops to see things in the middle distance, which varifocals should prevent.

The main drawback last time I seem to remember was the difficulty of watching TV with the varifocals unless sitting upright. In my distance glasses I can see just as well laying down or reclining.

I think the answer will be varifocals for my main glasses, and a cheaper pair of distance glasses for TV viewing.
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Gem, I like varifocals, but it is critical for them to get the graduation of prescription absolutely in the right place. Mine are fine, apart from reading small things on the car dashboard. If I use the sat nav I rely on the verbal instructions. I can't wear them at all for the computer, but that's ok, that's fine without my glasses.

You're probably right - a spare pair for watching tv would solve your problem nicely. You would also still have the single prescription reading glasses if you needed them for anything.
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Gem, I love them, I have had them for years, these new ones have a wider reading area, to be honest, I can see without specs, it is the reading etc that I need them for. Mine are perfect for the computer etc.

Comment

We've never had varifocals so can't help.
        The new ones i ordered yesterday are reactalites just for distance.
        I have an ordinary plain pair i use for watching tv.
        Don't wear any for the computer or for reading.
        Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

I have varifocals, have done so for some years, I think the next time I go she will say my left eye needs a cataract op. I do have a pair of reading glasses but don’ use them much.
          What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

I wore them for years and loved them but then I had a pair over the lockdown and just couldn’t wear them
            They never felt right despite going back 4 times .
            a few month ago I decided on just reading glasses that I use all the time when using iPad and laptop , plus a distance pair I use for watching TV too
            I keep a spare pair of reading glasses in my bag for if I need to see anything in supermarket but mainly I just use B to read labels 😁
            Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Oma, that made me smile. some years ago we had elderly neighbours. She was very deaf and his eyesight was very poor and she always used to say between them they made a good 'un!
              "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I couldn't manage without my varifocals . I certainly don't want to be like OH with one pair of ordinary glasses and one pair of reading glasses.
                He spends part of his day swapping them over to suit which occasion he needs them for ( seeing or reading) and the rest of the day looking for his glasses because he has put them down somewhere and he can't find them . I've lost count of the times he has almost sat on them !

I've had varifocals for about 20 years now but I must admit that at first I did have a few problems but I persevered with them and I would never change them.
                At first I felt nauseous when wearing them but I eventually got used to them
                Bring me sunshine in your smile.

Comment

Mimi, I remember my mother was always swapping glasses and losing them. It would drive me mad, too. Varifocals all the way!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

My most common annoyance with myself is putting my glasses down when I come in, having worn them for driving. Then not knowing where I put them when I need them later to watch TV!
                    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Working...
                    X