Phone numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone numbers

This has been at the back of my mind for some time, and Oma's GS1's recent need to contact his family when his phone was dead has reminded me.

In the "old" days when people had land lines only I bet most of us knew our most frequently used numbers off by heart. But mobile numbers seem to be much harder to remember.

In an emergency how many of your contacts could you call if you didn't have their numbers stored in your phone?

Some time ago I was driving OH's car and had a puncture. I was only a mile or so from the village but had no phone. There was an almost derelict phone box a few hundred yards away and I tried it, not really expecting it to work - but it did. I could remember 3 landline numbers - 2 friends and DS2's shop. (I didn't have my purse with my AA card in it). So I was lucky the shop answered and I was able to organise help. It made me think I should memorise at least a couple of mobile numbers, but I still haven't done it.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

I know our home phone number, plus my mum's (before she moved into the care home)
    So that's a total of no numbers apart from our home, that I know!

You are right Daisy, we should have the important numbers written down somewhere.
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I know DD's mobile, she has no idea what her landline number is even though she uses it for wi-fi! DS's is a non-uk mobile and I can only remember bits of it. I know my DB's landline, but not his mobile! I can now remember my landline the first and last numbers are the same which helps.

I do however have a problem remembering Post codes!
      Believe you can and you're halfway there.
      Theodore Roosevelt.

Comment

We don't have a landline number now,we only kept for mam and dad.
        I can remember the number.
        The only mobile numbers i know off by heart are my own and hubby's.
        Hubby doesn't know his own.
        Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

I rarely give my mobile number to anyone, only the family know it I think well it is registered in their mobiles. The doctors surgery and hospitals insist on using it and send texts which I miss. My son and Dil still have a landline but my DD doesn’t. I have always been bad at remembering numbers and dates. They are all recorded on my mobile so I would be in a spot if I didn’t have that with me. I use message quite a lot with family. I suppose if the cost of living goes up a lot, it is one thing I could do without and just get used to it.
          What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

We have a landline because our mobile reception is patchy and OH only carries his when he goes out, but doesn't often switch it on. He doesn't know his own number, let alone mine.

I 'recognise' some mobile numbers when I see them, but I must learn at least a couple of them!
            "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

We only keep our landline because of Josh we know it’s his life line in emergency’s ,

B is amazing remembering numbers ,I’m useless don’t even know my own .

In my purse and handbag I have little laminated notes with Bs DDs SILs and my own numbers on
              In the event of losing my phone I always have a backup .

I also have my own number on a piece of paper in my phone case so if I’m asked I can look at that rather than open my phone up ,

I remember my MILs land line it hasn’t changed for many years and funnily my late brothers landline .

B even remembers his Army number his Dads army number , both their work numbers when they worked on the buses together ,

Ask him when a birthday is though and he has no idea 😂😂😂
              Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

That’s amazing Oma
                What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Oma - B certainly has a good memory for numbers. It's a useful talent to have.

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Oma, DS2 is like B, he always was good with numbers. I know my own mobile number and our land line from years ago, oh, I always know my surgery as well, apart from that, nothing, I will have to make a note of the important ones though.

Comment

Working...
                    X