X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Read to the end! I got them at last.

Written two days before lockdown for GS3

Elias lives in Whitstable with his parents and his brother

He loves them very, very much - more than any other.

From time to time his granny comes - and sometimes Papa too

They visit when the sky is grey and sometimes when it’s blue.

Papa talks to Daddy all about his bread

They listen very carefully to everything that’s said.

They all go out for lovely walks along the pebbly shore

And search for stones and treasures and always hope for more.

They sometimes walk along The Street that stretches out to sea

And run and jump so very fast and get a damaged knee.

And when the weekend comes at last and Daddy’s home all day

It’s treat time for Elias with an ice-cream and a play.

And granny sometimes does some tasks to help his Mummy out

The trousers need some patching even when we’re in lockout.

So granny gets her needles and her threads and shiny scissors

And sews and snips and cuts and clips on all Elias’ trousers.

And then one day Elias said ‘Granny, what’s that sound

That I hear every time you walk’? ‘It’s very, very loud’.

‘I can’t hear a thing’ she said, ‘it’s your imagination

Which is working overtime, what an odd suggestion.’

‘But I can hear it too’ said Mum, ‘when you move around the room

‘I even heard it earlier when you went round with the broom’.

‘Look inside your pockets and search them very well

I’m sure that you will come across a little shiny bell’.

So granny did as she was told and looked inside her pocket

And what was it she found there? It wasn’t her best locket.

A teeny tiny silver bell she didn’t know was there,

‘It must have been your cousin I really do declare

When he was was playing hide and seek and found a hiding place

Much better than his other try, inside a pillowcase!

He must have slipped it quietly in when no one else was looking,

Expect it was a Wednesday when granny was busy cooking.’

‘What a silly granny’ she replied when it was found,

But Mummy thought the reason was, she couldn’t hear a sound.

‘You’d better get your doctor to look at both your ears

And help you to detect all sounds and hear them loud and clear’.

‘A good idea’ said Granny, ‘I’ll do it right away

As soon as I get safely back later on today’.

But then the situation changed and granny stayed indoors

‘I’ll have to wait until it’s safe to go and walk outdoors

Sum1 - it took me a while to get there as well, but I'm so glad I did. That tiny, tinkly bell would now sound like Big Ben! xx

How are you getting on with them?
    "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I love that poem Sum1.

An unusual way to discover that you needed hearing aids, even though lockdowns got in the way!
      “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy View Post
        Sum1 - it took me a while to get there as well, but I'm so glad I did. That tiny, tinkly bell would now sound like Big Ben! xx

How are you getting on with them?
        To be honest I dislike them. I can hear so much better but they pick up every sound and I can’t filter out the sounds I don’t want to hear. Music sounds tinny, and I find my ears ache after wearing them all day. And I can’t wear them with a mask because they get tangled up.

Other than that ok I suppose. But I still say most people mumble.

Comment

How long have you had then Sum1? I know it takes the brain a while to adjust to them.

My OH was happy with her first NHS ones, for a few years.
          Not so good now, despite having new ones. I think she may have to go down the private route.
          “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

B has the same trouble wearing a mask ,
            he doesn’t take it off till we are in the car , that way if they fall out we can find them
            If he has to take his mask off outside he hangs on to one ear piece at a time just to make sure .

Fingers crossed you will adjust and your brain will filter out the unwanted noises ,
            Carry on like a brave soldier 😁👍
            Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Sum1 - I just couldn't cope with the first ones, standard NHS, that I had. Exactly as you say, they make sounds louder but not clearer. I found the right one was actually painful. It felt as though the area of my head behind my ear was bruised. Also, as you say, they get tangled up in a mask and I joked that my ears weren't big enough.

After much nagging through the various lockdowns, I went back for a retest and explained the problems. I had already decided I was going to go down the private route for smaller, clearer aids. The audiologist explained I haven't got much room behind my ears and my ear canals, particularly the right one, are very narrow. I'm lucky that my hearing problem is suitable for in-ear aids. They are very tiny, sit right inside my ears and the sound quality is much better. They are controlled through my phone, which is really useful if you are somewhere noisy or the sound is too tinny or too bass. I can totally forget that I'm wearing them.

The only problem I find (and it's still relatively early days) is knowing what direction a sudden loud noise is coming from and identifying what it is. Apart from that I'm very happy with them. If it's an option I'd certainly recommend trying the private route.

Just to balance the story - my OH has standard NHS ones, is now on his second pair which are smaller and more controllable, and has had no problems.
              "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Daisy, if it’s ok with you can I ask how much they were? Looking at the cost of energy I doubt I could afford them.

Comment

My in-ear NH ones are fine, I am on my second pair. I have control buttons to make a difference to the loudness. I too have almost lost one due to wearing a mask but don’t do that much now. Mine are from Scrivens.
                  What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Sum 1 Bs we’re hitting the £3000 mark but there are a lot cheaper than that
                    He was just awkward and liked spending money at the time , 2 years ago 😡
                    I think if he was getting them today he wouldn’t spend so much , this current financial crisis is making everyone think twice .

Comment

For my OH I think it is the battery price more than the actual hearing aids which concerns her. They don't last long and she gets them all free on the NHS of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1Ls View Post
                        Daisy, if it’s ok with you can I ask how much they were? Looking at the cost of energy I doubt I could afford them.
                        Yes, of course, it's ok to ask. I got them from Specsavers and the brand name is Signia. Specsavers brand them "Advance Super". They were £1,650 for the two, but I think the non-NHS range starts at about £495 and goes up to well over £2,000. They have a 4-year guarantee which covers free batteries and everything except losing them, so I decided on a cost per day basis they were worth it. They have definitely made a huge difference to me and it's great not having to worry about not hearing what people are saying to me and not having to deafen the whole neighbourhood if I want to watch tv!

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

If i needed some, i would go for the in ear ones.

Love the peom Sum1.
                          Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Thanks for all the info everyone. OH says we need to wait for the next EDF bill first

Comment

Daisy B gets his batteries free for first 4/5 years also,
                              only thing is they are tiny to hold ,
                              A few times I have tried changing them for him but they ping out of my fingers
                              Either they are tiny or I have fat sausage fingers that don’t work 😂😂😂

Comment

Working...
                              X