Our young safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our young safety

As some of you may have read on chat , One of Bs relatives who is 18 went to a festival on Sunday
    She hadn’t been there long when she was spiked by needle ,
    This resulted in her having 5 seizures and a stay in Hospital .
    Thankfully she’s ok now but how do we protect and keep our youngsters safe without preventing them living their life ?
    Luckily she had friends with her to keep her safe till the ambulance arrived and she wasn’t left alone to the clutches of whoever did this .

We can talk to them about the dangers out there and hope they are sensible and don’t put themselves in harms way
    But there is nothing that can prevent these needle spikes that are happening .

My own GS is going to Leeds festival on Thursday and we are dreading it ,
    We have all talked about the dangers to him warning him not to leave opened drinks unattended
    Staying in a group not to take anything etc ,

Trouble is we want them to live life and enjoy their youth but so much evil out there with drugs, knives , and so on
    All we can do is make them aware and hold our breath till they are safely home again .

On top of this GS is driving down to Leeds Thursday night another worry , he’s a confident driver but only passed his test a few month ago .
    He did drive to York last Monday but DD was in the car with him

It’s going to be a long weekend till he’s home Monday
    Im not fat just 6ft too small

It is all so scary I agree Oma.
    Scary times.
    That poor girl. Thank goodness she is OK now, and that her friends were there and looked after her.

Staying with friends and being vigilant is the best advice we can give I think.

We don't want our children or grandchildren to be at any risk.
    Life is full of risks, so all we can do is arm them with all the information and hope they are careful.

It starts when we first let our child walk down the road to the shop, a friends house or school. We know they are ready and need to have more freedom, but part of us wants to hold their hand all the way.

It's not a lot different when they are older, is it?!
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

It’s not Gem , my DD is 49 and I still worry when she’s travelling anywhere 🙄

Comment

Who are these disgusting people who carry out these needle attacks. I know spiking drinks has been around for some time but sticking a needle into someone is so dangerous
        What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Gem, can you remember my nephews son and what happened when he went to Sheffield university? The poor boy almost died and to this day his leg is still painful and he needs to walk with a stick. His drink was spiced and what happened after that no-one knows until a man on his way early to work crossed a bridge and heard a noise, they had to get the fire engine out to rescue him at the time and he was in hospital for months.

What we can do to protect them I do not know, but, it is scaring, we have to let them go from the day they are born, it isn't always easy!

Comment

Plant its horrendous isn't it , Its happening to girls in nightclubs and bars too .
            scary times for our young people sadly

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzie48 View Post
              Gem, can you remember my nephews son and what happened when he went to Sheffield university? The poor boy almost died and to this day his leg is still painful and he needs to walk with a stick. His drink was spiced and what happened after that no-one knows until a man on his way early to work crossed a bridge and heard a noise, they had to get the fire engine out to rescue him at the time and he was in hospital for months.

What we can do to protect them I do not know, but, it is scaring, we have to let them go from the day they are born, it isn't always easy!
              I do remember it well Lizzie. It was shocking and horrible. That poor boy.
              It was the same year that DD3 started uni I think.
              “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

It would be Gem as they are both about the same age.

Comment

I know it's happened a couple of times in our town.
                  It started off with spiking drinks and its moved to another level now.
                  But what can we do to protect them. Not a lot i'm afraid.
                  Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Horrible. I have no answers but I do think that venues really need to step up with thorough searches and patrols. I was though,y frisked when I went to Tate Britain today - if they can do that to a harmless old woman, they can do it to the young.

Comment

It is completely horrifying, and with two teenage grandsons, I dread hearing that they have gone out for an evening.

Sum1, I think it is a many-faceted problem, with everything from people who have no stake in society to youngsters who have not learned what is good behaviour and what it unacceptable and criminal. But I totally agree - venues need to step up their security. They make money for their owners and I think it is incumbent on those who benefit to keep their 'customers' safe, whatever that takes.

Oma - I'm the same. I worry about GS1 going out in the car. I console myself with the thought that his car is very precious to him and I don't think he'd take risks, but he's also a relatively new driver, with testosterone playing its inevitable role.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                      X