A stinky story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A stinky story

After storm Eunice we had to have a new roof which was quickly fixed. However the loft extension where we sleep was in a terrible state - the floor ruined and dirty water marks everywhere. So last week our decorator started work and I had to move everything out and find a space to put stuff.

One ‘treasure’ I discovered was a bernous at the top of T’s cupboard which he’d bought in 1975. I brought it down and hung it on the knob at the top of the stairs.

There has been a truly awful smell developing over the last week. I’ve hoovered, scrubbed. sprayed but couldn’t find the source. In the end T said he thought it was the bernous so I put it in the washing machine. When I took it out it smelt fine. Then T hung it up and out of the hood fell a dead mouse. Somehow or other puss must have deposited a mouse in the bernous where it died and became desiccated. Until removed from its grave, encountered the air and moisture and started to decay. And then well soaked and plumped up in the washing machine. Now deposited in the black bin and the smell has disappeared.

Oh Sum, I bet the smell was disgusting!

Comment

Glad you found out what the smell was.
      Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

Oh yuk , glad you found the source of the smell , Did it leave a mark in the hood ?
        Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

Originally posted by Oma View Post
          Oh yuk , glad you found the source of the smell , Did it leave a mark in the hood ?
          No! But the bernous is is over 50 years old and black. I think it might do well to wrap myself up in when we can’t afford the coming heating bills.

Comment

Ewww, at least the source was discovered!

Years ago when we had multiple younger cats any bad smells could usually be traced to some little corpse they had deposited in an unseen area
            “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

Goodness me what a find
              What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

Sun1, I confess I had to look up the word Bernous! But thank goodness you found the source of the problem. I think when you have pets in the house there is always a danger of nasty whiffs from unexpected sources, but that must be a one-off!

But, on the plus side - all that cleaning, scrubbing and polishing is done and now can be ignored for months, and what a giggle you and T will have if you do snuggle up in it in the cold weather.
                "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Daisy, I didn't know what a Bernous was either, but presumed some sort of coat!
                  “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

As for cats - my neighbour’s puss brought in the corpse of a parakeet recently. They have no idea how he dragged it through the cat flap…

Comment

Originally posted by Sum1Ls View Post
                      As for cats - my neighbour’s puss brought in the corpse of a parakeet recently. They have no idea how he dragged it through the cat flap…

Comment

Sum1 - you can't account for a cat's problem-solving ability. Was it from the flocks that seem to live in and around London?
                        "Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

Working...
                        X