The pleasure of spending time with my 7 year old granddaughter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The pleasure of spending time with my 7 year old granddaughter

We had my 7 year granddaughter for a sleepover last night. Her mummy brought her straight from the school Halloween Disco, and took away her baby brother, who had been with us all day.She immediately settled down to draw and make things, then we had fish and chips for tea. After tea she requested a game of scrabble, the 3 of us played until after 9pm! Then it took me a very long time, with the use of wipes and cleanser and cotton wool, to remove the lovely Halloween face painting she arrived in! Finally, about 10pm GD was settled into bed.
    When the GC stay over it is a treat to come into our bed in the morning, for a drink and biscuit, chat and TV. We watched some CBBC this morning
    We then dressed and came down for breakfast. After that GD and I walked down to the village to buy a helium balloon for her cousins party tomorrow from the card shop, and a Disney Prince doll (for GD) from the local Preloved baby and toy shop, and some chocolate from the Co Op.
    Back home to make chocolate rice crispie cakes for GS1s party tomorrow. Some plain, some with raisins, some with mini marshmallows. GD enjoyed licking the spoons and bowl afterwards
    Quick lunch, then daddy arrived to take her away as she had another party to go to.
    It went very fast. On the way to the village she asked if she could stay for a whole week in the holidays! I said I would love it, but not these holidays as mummy would already have plans for her, and it was only a weeks holiday anyway. We hope to in the summer though!
    I feel so lucky to have her, and have her living close enough to see her so often
    “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Same for me Gem,feel very blessed they are all in shouting distance. Such fun and with the range in ages 14 down to 6,we have many and varied chats while having morning tea and biscuits in my bed at sleep over time.
    "What doesn't kill us,makes us stronger."

Comment

I think mornings having a cuddle in bed watching TV is when we get to know a lot more about what's happening in their lives and school / nursery they are more relaxed and open and very funny questions are asked and answered 😀
      Im not fat just 6ft too small

Comment

I remember it well
        What is life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare

Comment

I'm sure GD loved the 1 to 1 with you as well. Many happy memories made for all of you.
          Sometimes I forget to like posts,but that doesn't mean I don't like them.

Comment

''Tis a time to treasure indeed. We had the oldest GCs to sleep over on Thursday as their parents went to a wedding. They amused us greatly. I am lucky enough to see all my GCs most weeks.
            Not so sure I could do a week though,
            I do remember staying with an Aunt and Uncle in Stockport for a week every Summer in the holidays. Especially walking to the shops and having an ice cream with raspberry sauce!
            Women are like tea bags; you never know how strong they are until they are put in hot water.
            Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

GM, I couldn't do a week with my 4 year old GS!!! Perhaps when he is 7, but GD was a pleasure and easy at his age and younger, so I'm not holding my breath on that one
              “A grandchild fills a space in your heart that you never knew was empty.” – Unknown

Comment

I'd love to see my GC more than every 6 to 8 weeks. Still I know some Granny's little ones are abroad which must be even worse.

Comment

It must be hard Clover As you say though, better than a lot of ocean between you xx

Comment

Gem - what a lovely time you had, and I bet your GD is making lots of happy memories.

I'm looking forward to having my GD1 on her own tomorrow while GD2 keeps a hospital appointment. I think this is the first time since GD2 was born that I've had the 6 year old on her own, and it will be lovely to have some more 'grown up' time with her.

I think it's lovely when all4 GCs are together. Despite a 10 year age range they all seem to enjoy each other's company and love having big/little cousins.

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

It's nice to have time with older ones alone, isn't Daisy. Having had time alone with my GD for 6 and half years, I miss it!
                      Lovely as you say when all the GC are together, I love it

Comment

We did have a lovely time together today. We watched a few Tom and Gerry cartoons - not encouraged at home, but a guilty treat here.

Then she showed me what she's been learning in her piano lessons, and we played it as a duet. Then we had a picnic lunch in the living room, followed by some baking - GF oaty cookies. So a lovely few hours. GD2's news from the hospital eye appointment was good. Her weak eye is getting stronger. She has to go back in about 4 months for another check up. She was very good and did exactly what the doctor told her, but was a bit frightened by a picture of a scary hippopotamus which was part of the eye test. In fact both her mum and dad were unsure what it was meant to be! Whoever designed the eye test wasn't a parent of a young child!!!

"Joy is what happens to us when we allow ourselves to recognise how good things really are. "

(Marianne Williamson)

Comment

I'm glad you had some lovely one to one time Daisy

Today GD and I did some craft work and watched Frozen, during GS2s naps.

Good news about your GD2s eyes!

Comment

Working...
                          X